Board logo

TVR advise
AndyW - 17/3/09 at 08:46 PM

What to get.....

Griffith

Or

Chimaera

I like both for different reasons, so anyones advise, opinions welcome.

Thanks
A

mistergrumpy - 17/3/09 at 08:51 PM

Based on looks and only in my opinion, the Griffith.

scootz - 17/3/09 at 08:55 PM

Neither... purely on the basis of them not having a roll-bar!

Buuut... if you don't care about that, then you'll get a lot more Chimaera for your money!

Hammerhead - 17/3/09 at 08:56 PM

Sagaris!

James - 17/3/09 at 08:58 PM

Tuscan is my favourite!

I think it's the fact that the 'eyes' remind me of the Shadows in Babylon 5!

Or it could be the lovely behind:

Wish that girl'd get out the way!

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 17/3/09 by James]

Paul TigerB6 - 17/3/09 at 09:00 PM

Both?? I nearly bought a Chimaera 450 myself with my ex a few years back - stunning car (as a 2nd car / toy)

Danozeman - 17/3/09 at 09:04 PM

You could get alot of chimera for the money but for looks id go griffith.

westf27 - 17/3/09 at 09:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James
Tuscan is my favourite!

Cheers,
James

Ah thats where the nutcrackers went

maximill666 - 17/3/09 at 09:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James
Tuscan is my favourite!

Cheers,
James

What car

flak monkey - 17/3/09 at 09:14 PM

Neither, personally I would have a Cerbera

westf27 - 17/3/09 at 09:14 PM

Chimaera 4.0 having had one.It'll drink like a fish,pretty bombproof,engine/gearbox wise which leaves you with the niggles.At least you can drive it round town without too much trouble.I love all of them right up to the last but you will need thousands to spare if you get a bad one.Warranties are available but will cost a fortune to cover properly.Good luck,i'm slightly jealous,miss the sound

richardh - 17/3/09 at 09:19 PM

depends how often you want to be in a hedge, facing backwards, fixing electrical problems or having it towed home.

Had one, so did 2 mates and we all lost loads on them and got rid.

Jed - 17/3/09 at 09:32 PM

I'd pick the Griff if I had to have one of those two. IMHO the Chim just doesn't look right from the front but they are the cheapest option.
Whatever you choose, make sure you get a good chassis unless you like welding or don't mind spending a couple of k on having the job done properly.

I'm sticking with my '91 TVR S3 though - it may not be as fast as the Chim but the handling is very predictable.

mr henderson - 17/3/09 at 09:33 PM

I love the looks of all the TVRs, but if I was looking for that kind of car, I would also consider a Cobra replica. Simpler and much more reliable, while still pretty quick.

You won't get wind up windows, though, but there is a decent hardtop available

John

chris taylor - 17/3/09 at 09:39 PM

Neither, as they will both let you down at some point for defo,

gingerprince - 17/3/09 at 09:43 PM

I'm biased because I had one for 2 years, but I'd say Griffith 500

Yes, you'll get quite a bit more Chimaera for your money compared to Griffith, but I think the latter looks better, and there's a lot less of them about (which is why theyt attract a premium). The suspension is a better setup out of the factory too (the Chimp is setup slightly softer) - though both would benefit from an upgrade to Ohlins or similar - mine was a tad scary approaching Stowe at 140+mph!

Oh, and the Chimp is driven by golfers

But seriously, the boot in the Griff, despite what you might think is pretty enormous. It's very deep so you can get loads in it - very practical if you need that.

I loved my Griff whilst I had it - only got rid because I needed 4 seats to accomodate a little-un.

Oh, and in terms of "tvr reliability", mine never once left me stranded in 2 years of daily running. It did ultimately need topend work (cams and lifters) but it had done nearly 80,000 miles - quite a lot for a range rover engine on steroids!!

[Edited on 17/3/09 by gingerprince]

tegwin - 17/3/09 at 10:10 PM

TVRs got a bad name because people bought them thinking they were just "another car"...

If you come from a kit car background and realise that these are special cars that can at times be fragile you will be ok..

If you go in with your eyes open and expect to have a few problems you will be fine...

Having said that, mine is being a pain in the backside... but once I have replaced practically every part on it... she will be just fine

gingerprince - 17/3/09 at 10:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
TVRs got a bad name because people bought them thinking they were just "another car"...

True, and they also leave them in a humid garage for months on end until a sunny day and wonder why they don't work when they get them out.

Use them every day, they'll love you for it

Benzine - 17/3/09 at 11:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Neither, personally I would have a Cerbera

+1