Board logo

Which Supercar? Money no option.
James - 3/6/04 at 11:32 PM

So, someone is going to give you your very own supercar. They'll give you a garage to keep it in and petrol too... so which one would you choose?

There's probably quite a few I've forgotten to add so specify them instead.

I've tried to put in the latest/top model by each manufacturer- but please forgive any mistakes!

P.S. You're not allowed to sell it for the money!

[Edited on 3/6/04 by James]

Viper - 3/6/04 at 11:37 PM

I ticked ford gt assuming you mean GT40 and it was a proper one mk2 would suit me

liam.mccaffrey - 3/6/04 at 11:39 PM

i have voted ford gt 40, i work at a former gulf refinery and we have a photgraph of my boss sitting in one of the originals, in gulf orange and duck egg blue of course

other than that it would have to be a noble m12 or the new one the m14 is it?

mind you i would be quite happy with just the garage as i don't have one!

Hugh Paterson - 3/6/04 at 11:43 PM

Traitors all, buying american poo even if it does look who owns Aston Martin now anyway
Pugwash

Viper - 3/6/04 at 11:46 PM

Of course you havent listed an Invicta S1 or a Mosler or even a Saleen S7, of course i would cut off my balls for a proper Viper

blueshift - 4/6/04 at 02:02 AM

I saw the porsche carrera GT on top gear the other night and fell in love with it. The sound it made was awesome, in the true sense of the word, even just on TV. The TV type chaps seemed to like it too, and it obviously goes a bit. Nice things like bottom hinged pedals too.. for some reason appealed to me.

Not sure why, I don't like other porsches, everything else on the list makes me go meh, another supercar.. the ford GT is pretty cool but I don't have the history of appreciating the GT40.

Something about the porsche just made me go ooh, I want it, though.
For a moment I understood why it can be good to have huge scads of money and just go out and buy a nice car.

The Shootist - 4/6/04 at 03:01 AM

T-Zero

The refinery can sod-off... it's electric.

The Homepage....
AC Propulsion's T-Zero

[Edited on 4/6/04 by The Shootist]

Ben_Copeland - 4/6/04 at 05:58 AM

Yeh, its ok.. as long as you only want to do 100miles... oh and that you have to stick to 60mph to get that far

Browser - 4/6/04 at 06:46 AM

Money no object it's gotta be the McLaren F1, 'cos you can scare the crap out of two people at a time instead of just one

undecided - 4/6/04 at 07:01 AM

Valentino's GP bike 'cos so called supercars are pants

JoelP - 4/6/04 at 07:38 AM

i got a ride in a maserati spyder yesterday, does that count as a supercar? it must be nearly there. bloody sweet sounding car.

sl55 amg engine sounds horrible. appauling actually.

Alez - 4/6/04 at 08:31 AM

Caterham Superlight

Cheers,

Consolderable

(May not get supercar performance or comfort but at least you get close to supercar price..)

[Edited on 4/6/04 by Alez]

marcyboy - 4/6/04 at 08:37 AM

what about an original shelby cobra,
and as for the sl55 sounding nasty you must surely need help... it burbles round town and when your on the motorway and you put your foot down it sounds like a messerschmit...those superchargers are sweet....but the boots a bit small cos of the retractable roof, but if i wanted practicallity i'd get an M5 it's a good all rounder and still eats motorbikes on the motorway

mackie - 4/6/04 at 09:02 AM

Well... I like em all but it'll just have to be the DB9.
I have an idea of what I'd get if cost was no object. My lottery win garage:

The GT: DB9, there simply is no other choice (OK the SL55 is nice, very nice, but it's not really in the same class, like the roof though)

The sportscar: 360 CS - for track fun and frolics

The practical car: Overfinch Range Rover (top spec 380bhp beast - handy for towing caravans upside down , or possibly an RS6 Plus/E55 AMG/new M5/XJR)

I'd probably also want a banzai jap turbo nutter car too, maybe some type c spec 25 impreza or other or a Skyline GTR.

Finally a nice seven of some kind (self built ofcourse, with the best of everything).

PS. The SL55 sound awesome. But then if it's an engine and it's loud, I like it (you should hear the guy in my office's Impreza!)

[Edited on 4/6/04 by mackie]

PPS. I just realised that I really want a Murceilago and a Ford GT aswell. And a Koenigsegg CCR (the new 806bhp version).

#1 is still the DB9 though. I see lots of people voting McLaren F1 but it's not *that* good. Changing the clutch every 3000 miles is just *hassle*.

[Edited on 4/6/04 by mackie]

ned - 4/6/04 at 09:29 AM

the noble m14 is nice no one has yet mentioned the bugatti?! for ferrari fans it would have to be the f40, though i'm not huge on ferrari's!

Ned.

James - 4/6/04 at 09:30 AM

Nor the F50.

mackie - 4/6/04 at 09:33 AM

288GTO every time!

The Carrera GT is lovely... I think I'm running out of money now though...

(How much are 10 car garages these days?)

Considerably - 4/6/04 at 09:49 AM

Caterham R500evo of course.

Faster than all those so called supercars (well, perhaps not the macca although it did beat it in the Autocar 0-100-0).

stephen_gusterson - 4/6/04 at 09:52 AM

keep all that modern crap

Id have an a1 condition series one jag e type roadster - red with cream interior.

that over a ferrari any day

atb

steve

Considerably. - 4/6/04 at 09:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Considerably
Caterham R500evo of course.

Faster than all those so called supercars (well, perhaps not the macca although it did beat it in the Autocar 0-100-0).

Very good

ned - 4/6/04 at 09:53 AM

aston vantage v8 i think would be my dream supercar. if you've ever seen, heard of had the pleasure of following one (with your window down) you'll know exactly what i mean!

gt40 is very close though.

[Edited on 4/6/04 by ned]

Alez - 4/6/04 at 10:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
keep all that modern crap

Id have an a1 condition series one jag e type roadster - red with cream interior.

that over a ferrari any day

atb

steve

Cadillac Eldorado Convertible '1974, hmm.

stephen_gusterson - 4/6/04 at 10:38 AM

oh yah - and the 57 corvette in 'true lies' is also pretty nice.

Im sounding a bit retro, but I like those cars. Not that id turn down a xj200 or summat mind Rescued attachment vette.jpg
Rescued attachment vette.jpg

ned - 4/6/04 at 10:46 AM

jag xjr15 is also a favourite of mine, shame it doesn't handle and they never really made any. still, very fast in a straight line.

Ned.

andkilde - 4/6/04 at 01:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ned
jag xjr15 is also a favourite of mine, shame it doesn't handle and they never really made any. still, very fast in a straight line.

Ned.

That the one that looks like a LeMans racer? They've got three or four of them stored about 35 minutes up the road from me at RM Classic Cars (the upstart on the US auction scene). All brand new and for sale.

Cheers, Ted

ned - 4/6/04 at 01:35 PM

yeah, thats probably the one. loks like this:

quote:
Originally posted by andkilde
quote:
Originally posted by ned

Ned.

That the one that looks like a LeMans racer? They've got three or four of them stored about 35 minutes up the road from me at RM Classic Cars (the upstart on the US auction scene). All brand new and for sale.

Cheers, Ted

Spyderman - 4/6/04 at 02:14 PM

If you are going for a flash car then you want something that looks as good as it goes. This has to be the Aston Martin DB9!

Given the choice and money I too would prefer something older.
Primarily the Lambo Miura. Never beaten in looks!
Also something like De Tomaso Pantera, Ford GT40, Ferrari Daytona or 250GT, 250LM are classic lookers.
From the States the only ones I would consider are all old, such as 1965/6 Mustang GT350, Chevy Camaro or the car from Vanishing Point. Can't remember what it was!
Oh yes I like the new Corvette!

Terry

James - 4/6/04 at 05:02 PM

Disappointed to see my choice (F1- anyday and as soon as I can afford one!) is the most popular mainly coz there's not enough of them to go round as it is- so bugger off you lot!

Alongside the F1 I wouldn't mind an Aston aswell. Maybe the Full Works-Prepared Aston Martin V600 Vantage would do as a daily driver and the F1 for the weekends!

Cheers,

James

[Edited on 6/6/04 by James]

andyps - 4/6/04 at 07:08 PM

Has to be the McLaren F1. It is the ultimate supercar. Even ten years after it's introduction there has not been a test of another car which says "it is better then the F1". Until that happens, F1 for me please.

marcyboy - 4/6/04 at 09:57 PM

bit sad i know but i think the motor in vanishing point was a
"dodge challenger 440 RT"

Browser - 5/6/04 at 08:23 AM

Ooohhh, Dodge Chargers, makes me think of Bullitt. Dodge charger 440RT (or 426 hemi?) versus Mustang GT350
If I was gonna have a charger it'd be one of these

[Edited on 5/6/04 by Browser]

mackie - 5/6/04 at 10:09 AM

I saw one of those at goodwood. Isn't it called the Hemi Baracuda or something? Apparently they have quite a silly top speed with those aero "enhancements".

Browser - 5/6/04 at 01:29 PM

Dodge Charger Daytona mate. There was also the Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird, equally as mental-looking. Find out about them here

Spyderman - 5/6/04 at 02:21 PM

Ah yes Challenger was the one!

Very subtle for an American car, back when they knew how to make 'em! Rescued attachment P0001614.jpg
Rescued attachment P0001614.jpg

greggors84 - 5/6/04 at 02:40 PM

The hemi cuda, was a plymouth barracuda with the chevy "hemi" V8 (named because the combustion chamber has a hemispehical shape) in it. Had the shaker hood too, which basically means there is a great big hole in the bonnet where the intake scoop is, when the engine revs the scoops shakes.

The first time i saw the Aston martin V8 Vantage at the motorshow, i fell in love with it. i would have the v600 version, weighs 2 tonnes, but can do 0-60 in 4 seconds and 200 mph. All down to 600bhp and 600lb/ft of torque.
Its going to be the car i leave the church in when i get married! If i dont own one by then anyway.

derf - 5/6/04 at 02:58 PM

I dunno, none of those cars ever really tickled my pickle, I really like however (even thought its not a super car) the Nissan Skyline.

I had the oportunity to drive on when I was in Japan, it is a gorgeous car, handles great, and is fast too. The only drawback is that there is too much car. Weighing in at 3500 lbs it's a heafty beast, and you can feel the weight when you drive. if it was possible to loose about 1500 lbs it would be perfect.

mackie - 6/6/04 at 06:41 PM

Ah yes, that's the one
Pic from goodwood:

Would certainly turn heads in St Albans!

If I was going to get a muscle car though it'd have to be a modernised GT500 like this:

It's got uprated brakes, tyres, steering and revised body work and modern lighting. It even has the nitrous button on the gearstick Apparently it has an enormous V8 in it too

Browser - 6/6/04 at 07:18 PM

Sir sir sir, can I be a real anorak sir? If you look on the left-hand headlight cover you'll see a littl epicture of the cartoon roadrunner? That's a Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird sir! Can I take my anorak off now sir?
Two very similar cars developed at exactly the same time for exactly the same purpose, ergo to go extremely FAST!

mackie - 6/6/04 at 08:07 PM

Yeah I know, you mentioned that in your post too, so I was just posting the pic I had

Browser - 7/6/04 at 06:51 AM

Sorry sir, I'll slink away into the corner now sir
Can you imagine going to watch a NASCAR race in the sixties and seeing one of them for the first time? The spectators must've thought aliens were landing!