Board logo

LED question for our electronics boffins.
NigeEss - 21/4/14 at 04:41 PM

Is it possible to change a red/green led to red/blue ?

Most battery chargers have red/green charge state LEDs, but as I'm red/green colourblind they both
look the same so I have no idea when fully charged. Wifey is getting fed up of me asking "what colour
is it now ?"

turbodisplay - 21/4/14 at 04:49 PM

Yes, with the caveat that a blue LED requires 3.6V or thereabouts, whilst the other colour leds are in the 2V range. Depending on the circuit, it should work, possibly less bright for the blue LED. 90% chance of sucess IMHO.

Proby - 21/4/14 at 04:50 PM

Yes, there is no reason why not. An LED is just a diode that emits a light (LightEmittingDiode). Should be easy enough if you can get at them to replace.

EDITED to say as above, switch on voltage may be a bit higher on the BLUE LED so may be a little duller to the eye.

[Edited on 21/4/14 by Proby]

Slimy38 - 21/4/14 at 05:33 PM

From memory, the two colour LED's depend on the voltage going either direction. So I think you could replace a multi colour LED with two standard LED's mounted opposite to each other. As long as you could mount (and label) them you'd know whether it was coming or going.

HowardB - 21/4/14 at 05:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
From memory, the two colour LED's depend on the voltage going either direction. So I think you could replace a multi colour LED with two standard LED's mounted opposite to each other. As long as you could mount (and label) them you'd know whether it was coming or going.

By far the easiest solution. .. it is also possible to get yellow green leds.. Maplin will rob you a couple of quid for some... you could also use a flashing one and a not flashing one....

NigeEss - 21/4/14 at 05:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
you could also use a flashing one and a not flashing one....

I'd be happy with that too

David Jenkins - 22/4/14 at 10:13 AM

I'm surprised that no-one has come out with either a blue/yellow or blue/orange dual-colour LED especially for colour-blind people (people - usually men - with full colour blindness can usually differentiate between blue and brown, which is why European mains leads have brown and blue leads, with yellow/green stripe for earth).