Board logo

BEKO larder fridge not, well, 'fridgeing' :-)
Browser - 12/7/14 at 10:04 PM

As title, approx 6-7-year-old BEKO TDLA621W larder fridge (no freezer compartment) not getting cold enough, even with the 'stat at max (runs approx 10-11 degrees at present), compressor running, outlet pipe from compressor very hot but by the time it gets to the tops of the condenser tubes it feels tepid/lukewarm. Local repair man can re-gas for £75 but no guarantee this will fix fault, has to charge this to cover gas cost.
Has anyone any suggestions/experience of similar please?

alfiebeard - 12/7/14 at 10:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Browser
As title, approx 6-7-year-old BEKO TDLA621W larder fridge (no freezer compartment) not getting cold enough, even with the 'stat at max (runs approx 10-11 degrees at present), compressor running, outlet pipe from compressor very hot but by the time it gets to the tops of the condenser tubes it feels tepid/lukewarm. Local repair man can re-gas for £75 but no guarantee this will fix fault, has to charge this to cover gas cost.
Has anyone any suggestions/experience of similar please?

Time to stick it in the bin, I reckon the compressor is failing and not compressing the gas enough, re-gassing may be a short term fix but it wont last, Beko's fridges were ok, but the later ones tended to burn your kitchen down

Alfie.

PS £75 is over the top for a standard re-gass, the average in our area is around £50.

JC - 13/7/14 at 09:02 AM

This might be dangerous, I don't know!!

I seem to remember my Dad saying 'turn it upside down for an hour' when he heard of a similarly malfunctioning fridge. Presumably you remove the contents first......

alfiebeard - 13/7/14 at 10:10 AM

If you turn it upside down the compressor oil will get into the refrigerant!!! not a good idea, that's the reason when you tip a fridge you have to leave it upright for a couple of hours to settle before using it. if it was mine I would bin it.

Alfie

westf27 - 13/7/14 at 10:26 AM

Turning upside works for absorption fridges only and would probably wreck a compressor fridge.
Its low on gas so you got to find the leak or it needs a compressor or there's a blockage.
In any event a proper repair isn't economic.check out ao.com

JoelP - 13/7/14 at 05:07 PM

I'd vote bosch, neff or Siemens. Nice machines.

alfiebeard - 13/7/14 at 06:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
I'd vote bosch, neff or Siemens. Nice machines.

X2 on Neff, or if you are rich Smeg.

Alfie

ragindave - 13/7/14 at 06:57 PM

Pop into the Hotpoint Indesit shop Celta Road for a replacement with a good discount!

joneh - 13/7/14 at 08:19 PM

Bin it. Beko fridges are shite, check their site to see if it was one of the recall models.

Get something from Bosch etc.

Browser - 13/7/14 at 09:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ragindave
Pop into the Hotpoint Indesit shop Celta Road for a replacement with a good discount!

Already been Dave and they didn't have any larder fridges, which is what we need.

Thanks for the advice guys, but we've been trhough the finances with a fine toothed-comb, and mosrly due to this but also partly due to the fact that we are planning an extension to our kitchen which will mean a new kitchen and probably new place for the fridge to stand we will probably only keep the new one for around 1-2 years, so a new cheapo-BEKO is heading our way.
It'll be a German replacement in a year or two

JoelP - 14/7/14 at 07:25 PM

Any merit in getting your new kitchen design advanced enough to know what fridge you will need, and buying the correct one now? It'd save a good few hundred quid.