Board logo

Removing Ceramic tiles kitchen/bathroom
philw - 31/8/14 at 10:23 AM

How the hell do I remove tiles that are fixed to stud walling? is it possible? so far I have managed to rip chunks out of the wall is there a proper way of doing it or will I have to get the whole area drylined?

bigfoot4616 - 31/8/14 at 10:54 AM

i always remove the lot if its tiled onto plasterboard, much easier. you also start with a nice new clean surface to tile onto.

just make sure you replace any plasterboard in wet areas with a waterproof tile backer board( i usually use marmox) or tank the plasterboard.

JoelP - 31/8/14 at 12:07 PM

Tiles cannot be removed from unplastered plasterboard, just rip it all off and start again.

big-vee-twin - 31/8/14 at 12:51 PM

There's only one way - the hard way.

Remove the plasterboard and start again.

bigfoot4616 - 31/8/14 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Tiles cannot be removed from unplastered plasterboard, just rip it all off and start again.

unless its going to be really hard to reboard i wouldn't even try and remove tiles from skimmed plasterboard

John P - 31/8/14 at 04:51 PM

I've had some success using a flexible stripping knife which I pressed so the blade was virtually parallel with the wall and carefully hit it with a hammer. This was quite successful over most of the area although there was one small section I had to repair afterwards.

If there's old adhesive still on the wall afterwards, which there probably will be, then try a wallpaper steamer which softens it (possibly only if it was originally the ready mixed type) and makes it fairly easy to remove without doing any further dama

Good luck,

John.

bigfoot4616 - 31/8/14 at 05:44 PM

by the time you've done all that you might as well rip everything of and start again.

having said that i'm doing it for paying customers so labour costs money, if your doing it for yourself at home i suppose labour is free.

philw - 31/8/14 at 06:39 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I've bitten the bullet and cut the offending area out with a stanley knife, I will get some plaster board tomorrow and patch it in