Board logo

tool insurance
carlknight1982 - 27/2/15 at 07:23 PM

I'm looking to insure my tools as I would be destroyed if I lost my tools I use for work

Question is who do you guys use if any

designer - 27/2/15 at 07:47 PM

Take a photo of all your tools and ask your house insurance to cover them.

Doctor Derek Doctors - 27/2/15 at 07:59 PM

Direct line home cover has no specific limit for the contents of garages if workshops so as long as you have enough contents cover they will be paid out for. I also took pictures of the contents of all my drawers.

carlknight1982 - 27/2/15 at 08:06 PM

No I use them for work so need specific tool cover

spaximus - 27/2/15 at 11:20 PM

You have to be very careful with the wording of policies designed for home use. Direct line may well have no limit but when you claim you may find "professional tools" are excluded.

I went through every company and the only two that cover them properly are NFU and Hiscox. They are insured as engineering tools which are distinctly different to hobby tools.

A drill grinder and a few hammers and spanners is what they expect on a household policy.

Also list and photograph with date stamps what you have and add up the replacement value when you are getting cover. I have a lot of Snap on from my days as a mechanic and £10k does not go far with them tools and boxes.

Just to add, if they are in your works then check they are covered on your bosses insurance as once again, you may find that in the event of theft, if they are not in your home they may not be covered.

[Edited on 27/2/15 by spaximus]

rgrs - 28/2/15 at 02:10 PM

Speak to a broker, however be warned unless you have the original receipts for all the tools don't bother making a claim.

Read the small print very carefully, there are too many exclusions on a lot of the policies.

Roger