Board logo

residential electrical questions
ruskino80 - 20/5/15 at 09:09 PM

hi, just doing a kitchen refurb for a customer and the electrician has blobbed on me.

the old oven was plugged in via a 13a plug
the new oven (2.4 kw so only 10 amps) requires min 3 core 1.5 mm flex h/r. question is can I simply install the new flex back into a 13amp plug? on the existing wiring the socket beneath the countertop is controlled by a 13 amp switch fused spur fitted above the top which is spurred of the dedicated kitchen ring.

second question is that I know installing the new oven is not notifiable based on not altering the supply but can I install it myself?

I am not an electrician, I am not part p registered but I do deem myself competent.

thanks for any help

rich

tegwin - 20/5/15 at 09:48 PM

Theres a 13 A socket behind the oven isn't there? So you can quite easily plug in the new oven without doing any wiring can't you?

daniel mason - 20/5/15 at 09:52 PM

Youl still ned to terminate connections in the back of the oven!

JoelP - 21/5/15 at 06:45 AM

Most sub 13a ovens come with the flex fitted. I'd fit it without a second thought, it's not notifiable.

Slimy38 - 21/5/15 at 07:28 AM

We had the same with our cooker, although I changed the wall plate for an oven junction box (I don't know the proper term) so it was fully wired in rather than just plugged in. Possibly a bit overkill but apart from anything the plate was more flush with the wall so the oven fitted better.

britishtrident - 21/5/15 at 12:08 PM

Plug -- if you use the oven to any great extent at some point you will need to pull it out an fit a new heating element which only takes 5 minutes if you can just pull it out and unplug it..

britishtrident - 21/5/15 at 12:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Most sub 13a ovens come with the flex fitted. I'd fit it without a second thought, it's not notifiable.

That was certainly the case with the Baumatic we fitted a couple of years back.