Board logo

Finding an electrical connector
Benzine - 14/8/15 at 05:07 PM

I've used a mobility scooter for parts to make a go kart for my son. The only issue I'm having is that one of the connectors on the 'brain' unit is messed up, and an attempt to fix it by a previous owner has just melted it. I need a replacement connector that I can then solder to the existing wires.

Are there common sizes of electrical connector? I'm hoping that an 'off the shelf' connector will fit without having to go through the manufacturer of the scooter, and paying £8,999 for a small piece of plastic.

coozer - 14/8/15 at 05:09 PM

Search for it on the Yazaki site. If you can find it they will send out samples.

If you do find it make sure you order all the components and asking for a 10 size sample is OK.

matt_claydon - 14/8/15 at 05:33 PM

Looks similar to an 8-pin ATX power connector, albeit with different keying. That may be a good starting point to research further, or you could just use one with a bit of fettling.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=8+pin+atx+header&safe=off&espv=2&biw=1721&bih=970&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&am p;ved=0CEEQsARqFQoTCILZi_CMqccCFYKCGgodRVMEGg

theprisioner - 14/8/15 at 07:21 PM

Is it this: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-connector-housings/6795773/?origin=PSF_435697|acc

6 way receptacle,Mini-Fit Jr,dual row

Staple balls - 14/8/15 at 07:54 PM

Looks reasonable close to a PCI-E or CPU Power molex connector (also used on the back of some decent PSUs)

I can't see one with that particular keying (admittedly, I'm not looking that hard)

But if you can free the PCB from its housing.

this Should fit the board (maybe)

and this will go on the cable.

lsdweb - 15/8/15 at 11:07 AM

If you can't find the plug you could use some suitably sized round pin connectors (Molex?) crimped individually (with a bit of heat shrink) and push those onto the pins. Not an ideal solution but if secured correctly shouldn't be a problem. I've done this in the past on a competition car (can't remember which one) and I think I curved and secured the cables under the ECU / box and never had a problem.

Wyn

britishtrident - 15/8/15 at 11:52 AM

The keying can probably be re-worked with a Stanley knife., it doesn't have to be perfect just fit reliably.

ReMan - 15/8/15 at 12:25 PM

i suspect the keyed part is customised at manufacture to design. How about pitting the individual pins on the ends of your cable. shrink wrap each individually then "pot" them together with araldite/ silicone or similar?

dave_424 - 15/8/15 at 05:33 PM

I vote for getting an 8-pin atx connector and trimming some of the corners so that it fits

Benzine - 16/8/15 at 07:12 PM

Thanks a lot for the suggestions everyone, i have some old pcs so I'll look at those first

dave_424 - 16/8/15 at 07:37 PM

If you can't find one, just cut 8 pins off the long motherboard connector

Benzine - 25/8/15 at 08:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, the pc related ideas helped. Motherboard connector sliced up fits a treat!