Board logo

Nuisance calls
prelude1980 - 25/1/16 at 07:28 PM

over the past week i've been getting 2 -3 calls per day from different landline numbers to my mobile. I've answered about 4 of these calls but they are completely silent and the call finishes within 2 -3 seconds.

Getting fed up of these i've called 2 of these different numbers back only for them to be met with music from the out start so i'm guessing a scam to get you to call but i have no way of blocking these numbers as they are completely different everytime

What can i do EE are useless

BenB - 25/1/16 at 07:45 PM

I just leave my mobile on silent apart from the priority numbers (IE people I know) which have silence over-ride. Sorts that type of BS out.

prelude1980 - 25/1/16 at 07:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I just leave my mobile on silent apart from the priority numbers (IE people I know) which have silence over-ride. Sorts that type of BS out.

Ah thats not a bad idea. just frustrating as i never give out my number, i'm subscribed to the TPS service as well.

Wadders - 25/1/16 at 07:50 PM

Calling them back can be a risky business, you might get a shock when the bill arrives

I've got a call blocker on my android phone, which sorts out a lot of the crap, and my phone automatically tells you the call region so if i see someone is calling from the other end of the country i simply don't answer, if its important they will leave a message.

morcus - 25/1/16 at 08:01 PM

A work colleague got tricked by a scam where you call them back and it plays the ringer tone, but answers pretty much instantly at a premium rate, if you do call back use the speaker phone so you can see if they're doing this.

prelude1980 - 25/1/16 at 08:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Calling them back can be a risky business, you might get a shock when the bill arrives

I've got a call blocker on my android phone, which sorts out a lot of the crap, and my phone automatically tells you the call region so if i see someone is calling from the other end of the country i simply don't answer, if its important they will leave a message.

i have whoscall on my phone that does that, i did use the work phone so it's not on my bill LOL
Just really frustrating have 2-3 calls per day for the past week that i can't stop short of putting my phone on silent which can be an inconvenience.

lsdweb - 25/1/16 at 08:09 PM

I have an app called Should I Answer? Corny name and awful icon but a really good app for cutting out the cr*p calls - comes with a list of nuisance numbers.

Wyn

Sam_68 - 25/1/16 at 08:48 PM

Have you got the number registered on TPS?

It seems to work for me, on both landline and mobile (I'm with EE too, for what it's worth).

britishtrident - 25/1/16 at 10:48 PM

Easy solution just download the Mr Number app