Board logo

Severed Main Ring
Irony - 22/1/18 at 10:42 AM

Like a foolish retarded idiot I have chopped into the main ring circuit and completely severed the cable. I was chopping out a socket and cable wasn't exactly where I expected it to be. The cables are buried behind plasterboard and I have cut away the area to expose the offending cable. I know the locost way is chocblocks wrapped in tape but I'd rather not.

Is there a small connector box that someone can recommend that can be perminately buried in the wall???

cliftyhanger - 22/1/18 at 11:04 AM

Wago's in a small box? But the electrician who did some re-wiring on a place I was recently working on used blue insulated connectors, the same as often used on cars. Just crimped them up.Then wrote the certificate.....

I would prefer Wagos or a decent choc block (after all a choc bloc is the same system as used on every socket/switch in the house)

MikeR - 22/1/18 at 11:14 AM

I think Waco's are the preferred way and when I last looked at them supposed to be more reliable long term. But I'm no electrician ....

Irony - 22/1/18 at 11:50 AM

I think the safest option is to chop the cable out to the nearest socket and place another socket where the damage is. This will mean I will have a bit of a random socket and I will have to chase a metre or so of cable. This is a bolt and braces option and will pass part P.

roadrunner - 22/1/18 at 12:22 PM

You need to have access to any threaded connections. If not, the push fit connectors wagos will be fine.

Mr Whippy - 22/1/18 at 12:29 PM

Personally I'd be fitting another socket (never know it might be handy for hovering etc) and joining it with that.

knight19770 - 22/1/18 at 12:34 PM

I would suggest using through crimps as the best option if the joint is not accessible? I tell my sparkies only to use a junction box if we can get to it afterwards. But best of all replace the broken leg of the cable, hopefully you can use the broken one as a draw wire.

stevebubs - 22/1/18 at 03:01 PM

I believe it has to be maintenance free if not accessible; sparkies will know better than me, but this may well be acceptable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ashley-J803-Maintenance-Terminal-Junction/dp/B00BATALJK

hearbear - 22/1/18 at 08:37 PM

The through crimps are what son uses and he is a sparkle or could you not fit a new box at the break

nick205 - 23/1/18 at 10:19 AM

No chance of fitting a socket at the break?

Once drilled though a mains cable buried in a wall (after realising I was still alive) I fitted a socket as a means of rejoining the cables (and providing another mains socket).

dave r - 25/1/18 at 08:12 PM

Through crisps not that good on solid cores... solder heatsink in a box