Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Horizon last night - eating less for better health
coyoteboy

posted on 14/5/13 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Suspect we didn't live with sporadic food as we were hunter gatherers.

Bluemoon

posted on 14/5/13 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
^^ that is sporadic by definition??? Dependent on seasons, weather and if you can catch something to eat, by definition random, some days you win someday you don't and you go hungry???

[Edited on 14/5/13 by Bluemoon]

Jasper

posted on 14/5/13 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah - maybe they had Tesco's and MacDonalds back then

I think you'll finding hunting with a spear would have been VERY sporadic!

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

coyoteboy

posted on 14/5/13 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hunting maybe, but most indigenous tribes that still hunt/gather rarely go hungry for days on end from what I've read unless there's an unusual event (drought etc) - they collect enough of their staple forms to eat regularly in minimal quantities and protein comes in bursts as a kill is made. You wouldn't live somewhere where the food sources were that scarce that you couldn't guarantee at least SOME form of food, you'd move to a different location. Generally humans set up a spot where they have a good selection.

Unless, of course, this diet is a meat only with periods of starvation and I missed the original point?

[Edited on 14/5/13 by coyoteboy]

Bluemoon

posted on 14/5/13 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Hunting maybe, but most indigenous tribes that still hunt/gather rarely go hungry for days on end from what I've read unless there's an unusual event (drought etc) - they collect enough of their staple forms to eat regularly in minimal quantities and protein comes in bursts as a kill is made. You wouldn't live somewhere where the food sources were that scarce that you couldn't guarantee at least SOME form of food, you'd move to a different location. Generally humans set up a spot where they have a good selection.

Unless, of course, this diet is a meat only with periods of starvation and I missed the original point?

[Edited on 14/5/13 by coyoteboy]

If it was that easy for all of the population to get food why did we bother to develop at all, sounds like a utopia.....

In the forested UK for example I should imagine it would have been quite difficult.

Dan

coyoteboy

posted on 14/5/13 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure it's utopia for someone used to a western world, but if it helps your point, sure

We only moved to farming when our populations outgrew what could be gathered locally, not because we were starving? Back in the days when this diet is based on (pre farming) plenty could be gathered locally.

Why on earth would it be difficult in forested UK, you are aware of how much food can be gathered for a small clan in a sparsely populated forest area (especially a historic one where most of the mammals haven't been hunted to oblivion by excessive human numbers).

If you don't think it's true, why are there still thousands of tribes across the world who are not starving or living in hardship and still working on a hunter-gatherer basis, not farming or eating at Tesco? Just because it's alien to us doesn't mean it's difficult or rife with starvation.

Bluemoon

posted on 14/5/13 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
In any case, not going to post any more it's getting off the OP's point; and I can tell this will just get boring will agree to disagree...

Dan

Ninehigh

posted on 30/6/13 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Bump

Just watched it now... wondering if anyone's kept up with it for the past 10 months now and how they're doing from it?

steve m

posted on 30/6/13 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
They have probably died, through malnutrition,

Sad really, as i liked old Jasper

[Edited on 30/6/13 by steve m]

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Jasper

posted on 1/7/13 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah - hahaha

I've been doing it for 6 months solid now, and three months last autumn. My weight has settled at about 81.kg which is fine as I'm 6'1", and I do almost no exercise at all. On a fast day today actually after my first week not fasting last week (had a death in the family).

I feel great, got a 32 inch waist, fit in my old Mod clothes again and I'm enjoying food on my non-fast days far more than any other time over the last few years as I had put on 2 stone and felt the guilty when over eating.

Fast days are relatively easy, fruit smoothie for breakfast (150kcal) then nothing till a M&S Fuller for Longer dinner at about 7pm. Interesting thing is I still get grumpy when hungry on non-fast days and I know I can eat, on fast days I don't get the grumps. And the hunger doesn't increase during the day when fasting, it comes in waves which pass just as quick as they come, and I always know I can eat as much as I like tomorrow.

For me the bit of hunger I feel twice a week is as small price to pay for the weight and health benefits.

A mate of mine who has a knackered pancreas and has to be super careful about his diet has also been on it since the New Year. His doctor has been stunned at his blood test results as he gets checked regularly - and he's lost 2 stone.

Hellfire

posted on 1/7/13 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I had my blood levels checked just before starting this plan a month ago and am having them done again in a few months, so should be able to compare before and after. I've lost about 6lbs in weight since starting this plan but then I didn't start it primarily for the weight loss. I find the fasting days quite easy and also play squash on one of those days. My game seems to be much sharper and my energy levels higher when I haven't eaten much that day

I have noticed that I over-compensate by having something to eat at supper time on the days before my fasting days, which might explain why my weight loss hasn't been great Just need to kick that before it becomes a regular thing.....

Phil

Jasper

posted on 2/7/13 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Glad to here it's going well! I wouldn't worry about the slight over-compensation, they reckon most people eat about 10% more on non-fast days either side of fasting ones, and this still leads to good weight loss.

I often have a piece of toast about 9pm before a fast day 'just in case' - but rarely wake up starving the day after a fast day. I've lost about 2 stone and that's with a bit of over-eating on other days. That's the nice thing about fasting, you can have a guilt free pig out!

sebastiaan

posted on 27/10/14 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
So, how did this work out in the end?
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 27/10/14 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Well Jasper hasn't been on here since Feb. So ....
Maybe he wasted away
Maybe he's inundated with gorgeous women
Maybe he's just found something else to do

Shame as I'd love to hear how he's got on (esp as misses started a new diet two weeks ago)

John Bonnett

posted on 28/10/14 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
I've not heard from Jasper either but having followed the 5/2 regime now for over two years I am pleased to report that for me it has proved a terrific success. I've found it very easy to sustain and and it has become a way of life. Weight loss is a useful by-product but the main benefit is improved health and an amazing increase in energy; just like running on rocket fuel.

John

Hellfire

posted on 29/10/14 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've been on it now for about 17 months. My cholesterol levels have reduced significantly and last time I checked, they were back within normal limits. It's becoming a way of life and although I haven't had any significant weight loss, I don't really need to watch what I eat on the 5 days I eat normal. I still tend to overcompensate on the day before though.....

My energy levels are much better on restricted calories days, so I arrange my squash games on those days.

Phil

Northy

posted on 30/10/14 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
I'm quite interested in this actually - although I haven't read the whole thing.
What do you guys eat on the restricted days?

G

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
John Bonnett

posted on 30/10/14 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Northy
I'm quite interested in this actually - although I haven't read the whole thing.
What do you guys eat on the restricted days?

G

I have a 200 calorie breakfast consisting of a measured quantity of flakes and a banana. Zero calorie drinks throughout the day and 400 calorie supper which varies but can be a salmon steak with tinned tomatoes and green beans. there is a book I believe which gives varied menus.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 30/10/14 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Eat, dump, and be happy!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

coyoteboy

posted on 30/10/14 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
It's pretty interesting to see the correlation between fad diets and their advocate's financial gains, and the total variation from the academic-study-driven advice of public health professionals.

Johneturbo

posted on 30/10/14 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo
Me and the Mrs have been on this for about 8 weeks and have to say it's working well.
it was only by chance i heard about this as missed the original programe, it was on BBC breafast i saw somthing about it.

i've gone from 12.5 stone to almost 11.5, plus we had a week away snowboarding so didn't do it that week.

we do mondays and thursdays, and only have one 500 calorie meal during the evening and just drink water during the day.

I thought i'd quote myself!

still on this but now only one day a week to just maintain what i lost which 10kg it's now a way of life for us

Angel Acevedo

posted on 31/10/14 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
OMG!!!!

I´m OFF THE SCALE!!!
Went to the site and ran the numbers...
http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx
On the other side it lists my "Ideal Bodyweight" @ 53 to 72 kg.
Even as 72 may be possible, whenever I Reach 84 I look like I´m Sick and on the verge of dying...
I´d love to see some day 80 kg, but age related lazyness has prevented me from reaching that goal...

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.