Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LED question for our electronics boffins.
NigeEss

posted on 21/4/14 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
LED question for our electronics boffins.

Is it possible to change a red/green led to red/blue ?

Most battery chargers have red/green charge state LEDs, but as I'm red/green colourblind they both
look the same so I have no idea when fully charged. Wifey is getting fed up of me asking "what colour
is it now ?"

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

turbodisplay

posted on 21/4/14 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, with the caveat that a blue LED requires 3.6V or thereabouts, whilst the other colour leds are in the 2V range. Depending on the circuit, it should work, possibly less bright for the blue LED. 90% chance of sucess IMHO.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Proby

posted on 21/4/14 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, there is no reason why not. An LED is just a diode that emits a light (LightEmittingDiode). Should be easy enough if you can get at them to replace.

EDITED to say as above, switch on voltage may be a bit higher on the BLUE LED so may be a little duller to the eye.

[Edited on 21/4/14 by Proby]

Visit GraphicMonster

Slimy38

posted on 21/4/14 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
From memory, the two colour LED's depend on the voltage going either direction. So I think you could replace a multi colour LED with two standard LED's mounted opposite to each other. As long as you could mount (and label) them you'd know whether it was coming or going.
HowardB

posted on 21/4/14 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
From memory, the two colour LED's depend on the voltage going either direction. So I think you could replace a multi colour LED with two standard LED's mounted opposite to each other. As long as you could mount (and label) them you'd know whether it was coming or going.

By far the easiest solution. .. it is also possible to get yellow green leds.. Maplin will rob you a couple of quid for some... you could also use a flashing one and a not flashing one....

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

NigeEss

posted on 21/4/14 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
you could also use a flashing one and a not flashing one....

I'd be happy with that too

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

David Jenkins

posted on 22/4/14 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
I'm surprised that no-one has come out with either a blue/yellow or blue/orange dual-colour LED especially for colour-blind people (people - usually men - with full colour blindness can usually differentiate between blue and brown, which is why European mains leads have brown and blue leads, with yellow/green stripe for earth).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.