Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lead poisoning ?
craig1410

posted on 22/4/14 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
My wife had similar symptoms to what you describe for about the last 10 years. Went to the doctors etc etc but nothing was found. I read a book called grain brain which describes the problems gluten can have on the body including migraines amongst lots of other things. I told her to give it up gluten and see what happens, Within a couple of days the migraines stopped and have never come back.

[Edited on 22/4/14 by wylliezx9r]

Another vote for Grain Brain - that book will make you think twice about listening to "the establishment" when it comes to healthy eating. I managed to virtually eliminate Asthma which I've had since the age of 12 (now 41) simply by avoiding Gluten and Sulphites from my diet. My whole family now avoid Gluten as much as possible and are enjoying improved health. Note that it takes up to 30 days to see the full benefits of gluten avoidance and it is extremely difficult to avoid as it is in almost everything including cooking sauces. Read the labels of anything you eat.

Good luck, I hope you find a solution.

C.

britishtrident

posted on 23/4/14 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
One of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is headaches. Carbon monoxide is always a major suspect when investigating sick building syndrome.

Re lead, lead like other heavy metals it lingers in the body for a very long time, the change in environment when going on holiday is not going to be long enough to change the symptoms.

[Edited on 23/4/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

ali f27

posted on 23/4/14 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Bit of along story but here go,s i suffred form indigestion all my life untill meeting jane who is gluten intolerent i am 59 and was crippled with joint pain struggling to get my work done box of rennies daily anyhow when we started living together we started eating same diet just made life easy within a month joints where beginning to improve and a year later i am brand new would never have belived it if some one had told me dont rule it out claire not hard to be gluten free we eat really well good luck
whitestu

posted on 23/4/14 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
Where we are the water company will replace any lead pipework leading to the property if you replace yours up to the boundary. Might be the same where you live.

Like other have said though, lead pipe oxidises meaning the lead shouldn't contaminate the water.

mcerd1

posted on 23/4/14 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
lots of people have a mild gluten intolerance with various symptoms (my GF's mum just gets an upset stomach)

but there are so many possible causes the only way to isolate the real cause is to try one thing at a time...

getting the water checked and checking the CO levels around the house have got to be the first things - they are easy to test for and the most serious for your health

quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
Where we are the water company will replace any lead pipework leading to the property if you replace yours up to the boundary. Might be the same where you live.

we've got something like that up here

but ~10 years after it was all redone in plastic we found a leak in the 10m section of lead pipe they'd missed / hadn't bothered to replace

[Edited on 23/4/2014 by mcerd1]

-

MP3C

posted on 23/4/14 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
One of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is headaches. Carbon monoxide is always a major suspect when investigating sick building syndrome.

Re lead, lead like other heavy metals it lingers in the body for a very long time, the change in environment when going on holiday is not going to be long enough to change the symptoms.

[Edited on 23/4/14 by britishtrident]

+1 for carbon monoxide. dad had the similar symptoms a while ago, really bad headaches and he seemed tired all the time. we tested everything and eventually it was found to be carbon monoxide from the gas fire. Once fixed he was fine.

Matt

me!

posted on 23/4/14 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
You could switch to wine?
mcerd1

posted on 23/4/14 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
^^If I remember right cider would be better

-

Phil.J

posted on 23/4/14 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
I suffered from migraines for years, regularly taking soluble paracetamol about 5 times each day. When I had kidney problems I stopped the paracetamol and was prepared to live with the migraines, but within a few days the migraines stopped. I had been suffering from paracetamol poisoning which can cause violent headaches and migraine!
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 23/4/14 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be very suprised if lead in the water supply was linked to the problems you're experiencing.
The bioavailability of lead is quite low, as has been pointed out. Pipes will form a protective scale on the inside, it's probably only your main-to-house that remains lead, simply running the tap for a few minutes should clear any absorbed lead in that section.
Your comment as regards lead in petrol.... quite interesting. Thing is, again, the bioavailability of lead particles neatly baked into exhaust particulates is extremely low. Unless you were into eating nothing but the grass along the M25 during the leaded period (yes, I was part of the research effort at the University of Surrey), I doubt if dietary lead is an issue. However, stop eating tinned salmon/tuna if heavy metals worry you. BTW, petrol (sans lead) is now even less healthy, more aromatics, more heavy ethers, all very toxic. That octane level has to be maintained somehow.

How is your home heated? If it's a modern sealed box, amongst other sealed boxes (all venting CO), then have a good look at CO.

Any formaldehyde/ureas/etc. (furniture/fittings/insulants) can cause some issues with some people.

Any high voltage lines around, or a big microwave emitter?

craig1410

posted on 23/4/14 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
The other thing to consider is that the absence of headaches when away from home might not be so much to do with the change of environment but might be more to do with the change of scene possibly reducing stress. For example, when we are at home we tend to be in a work, eat, rest cycle whereas when on holiday or away from home that cycle will usually not include work any more.

So, if general stress could be the cause then try to make time to relax through a combination of exercise (eg. simply walking), breathing, meditation, yoga, pilates etc. Whatever you can fit in to your life.

Also consider if your bed is causing back or neck pain/stiffness to trigger the headaches (very common) and make changes to see if you can remove the trigger. eg. Try sleeping on the floor with a mat or old duvet underneath you. I'm not saying that will be particularly comfortable but it might give some clues as to the cause. This is also something that will be different when you are away from home.

I hope you find the solution.

woodster

posted on 23/4/14 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know much about lead pipe work but I do know that plumbers who worked with lead were given a bottle of milk a day to drink and protect themselves .... My old Dad told me that
BenB

posted on 23/4/14 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
The other thing to consider is that the absence of headaches when away from home might not be so much to do with the change of environment but might be more to do with the change of scene possibly reducing stress. For example, when we are at home we tend to be in a work, eat, rest cycle whereas when on holiday or away from home that cycle will usually not include work any more.

So, if general stress could be the cause then try to make time to relax through a combination of exercise (eg. simply walking), breathing, meditation, yoga, pilates etc. Whatever you can fit in to your life.

Also consider if your bed is causing back or neck pain/stiffness to trigger the headaches (very common) and make changes to see if you can remove the trigger. eg. Try sleeping on the floor with a mat or old duvet underneath you. I'm not saying that will be particularly comfortable but it might give some clues as to the cause. This is also something that will be different when you are away from home.

I hope you find the solution.

I get migranes except when I'm on holiday. The answer is stress. I doubt lead ismy issue. For what its worth I replaced my lead piping with plastic. Shed loads of stress- made it worse

clairetoo

posted on 1/5/14 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
I got the results from the water test today........
They phoned before turning up , and said dont run the water - bad news was I had flushed the toilet a few minutes before , so the water had only sat in the pipes for an hour or so before being checked .

And the test result - 9.1 micrograms per litre , when the current drinking water standard is 10............

So maybe 17 years of filling the kettle first thing in the morning , and often first thing when entering the house may have something to do with my problems.........

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

ali f27

posted on 1/5/14 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
hope youve got to the bottom of it
Hellfire

posted on 2/5/14 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
The acceptable level of lead in the water supply used to be 25 micrograms per litre prior to 25/12/13 and was reduced to 10 micrograms after that date. If you only have 9.1, that would suggest you are well within the parameters wouldn't it? So may not be the source of your problems?.......

Phil

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.