Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Temporary concrete drive widening
Simon

posted on 14/7/14 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Temporary concrete drive widening

Folks,

Following on from the garage ext and porch at front of house, we now need to widen the driveway.

It will be done properly next year (imprinted concrete perhaps) but need more room on drive now. What would I get away with for a minimum thickness of concrete for around 8 months? Was thinking iro 3 inches and left for a week to harden off.

Not a large area, perhaps 3m long by 1m wide. Only have the wife's ZR or my TF on it

Cheers

ATB

Simon

tegwin

posted on 14/7/14 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
The thickness of the concrete is not the issue, its the quality of the base onto which the concrete is laid.

If its just a temporary thing I would dig out down to solid ground where I wanted to widen the drive. Then fill with hardcore and top with a suitable gravel making sure to compact it properly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

stevebubs

posted on 14/7/14 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
watch out for regs on driveways....they changed a while ago; you may have to use a permeable surface...
pewe

posted on 14/7/14 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Why not just put down four paving slabs (i.e. one each wheel) set on a gravel/spotted concrete base?
Just ensure the part under the vehicle is well drained though.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

britishtrident

posted on 14/7/14 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
We had to extend one edge of our driveway three years back after the verge got badly chewed up during the the extremely snowy winter. We used gravel retaining grids and red whin chips quick and easy to lay and it has worked extremely well, the chips stay put.

If you do a Google you will find a number of different grid/matting systems on the market.

[Edited on 14/7/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Simon

posted on 14/7/14 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
At the moment we have grass, crazy paving, concrete, red tarmac and a bit of leftover ballast gracing our drive.
House looks quite smart apart from ground. Haven't got the money to do drive till next year so the crazy paving and ballast are all going to be replaced with a nice slab of concrete.
So long as it lasts till late spring that'd be grand.
When drive gets done, all groundwork will be done properly then, in the meantime just need to know if 3" or so will suffice
Cheers

ATB

Simon

blakep82

posted on 14/7/14 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
What about this stuff?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/251305253022?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=t&adtype=pla &crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Can be taken back up later, and back on ebay
About £60 for the area you need

This ones cheaper
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Grids-Garden-Grass-Paving/281373641148?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26 ao%3D1%26asc%3D24133%26meid%3D8311915125227368246%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D10245%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D251305253022&rt=nc

A lot less work than concrete, and way cheaper too. Grass grows through it so you don't actually see it, but its a good firm ground that won't turn to mud

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Texan

posted on 14/7/14 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Make it easy on yourself and just use bricks.

They'll be much easier to put down and take back up again. Plus you'll find hundreds of uses for the bricks afterwards.

Getting the old concrete out from a temporary pour will be an absolute bitch.

I drive therefore I am.

talkingcars

posted on 14/7/14 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
In one corner of the yard we have some unconcreted ground, when we started to use it for storeage 5 years ago a metre wide path of the plastic grid was laid down the middle, it is driven on everyday with 5 tonne fork lift trucks yet it still holding, I regularly get stuck if I go off the side but not on the grid.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.