Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hdmi cable problems
richardm6994

posted on 28/7/14 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hdmi cable problems

Hello,

What I thought would be straight forward turns out not to be.

I have a 1m hdmi cable and when I connect it between my laptop and TV it works fine.
I have now bought a 30m long hdmi cable (no need to go into the reasons why), it has a booster half way down the cable but it's not working when plugged between my laptop and TV.
I've tested the 30m cable between my ps3 and TV and it works fine... so why will it not my from my laptop?
Based purely on a guess....ive assumed the signal from the laptop is not strong enough to reach the booster at the halfway point along the cable so I've bought another booster to go between the laptop and the 30m cable that I'm hoping will give the signal enough strength to reach the second booster and get things working on the TV.

Has anyone come across this before and can offer any advice?

gttztt

posted on 28/7/14 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
HDMI cable problems

Hi. I have no idea why you have trouble with the laptop verses the PS3 but from bitter experience we only go up to 10m including breaks (joints) with HDMI using standard cables. This pretty much guarantees that the kit will work. Beyond 10m we always convert to Cat5/6 using quality equipment and rarely have problems. This also allows us to add a 10m cable to either end too. Beyond 10m standard or even high quality cable may work, it may not. If your booster is at 15m then you may indeed loose signal before it reaches it. Adding another booster to the input side may be overdriving the inline booster and you will loose the signal again.
You could also try adjusting your settings on the laptop to enable "always on" (via power settings) and using the mains charger could help too.

nick205

posted on 28/7/14 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Have to ask why you need the laptop to be 30m away from the TV....?

Have you got the biggest TV in the world....?

richardm6994

posted on 28/7/14 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
The main reason is that my laptop has loads of films on it....the majority for my 7 year old little girl. I wanted to be able to run hdmi from the laptop to her bedroom TV .....whilst keeping my laptop downstairs out of harms way.

To be honest it was only a passing idea which I didn't imagine would causes any problems!

The confusing thing is that the ps3 works fine through the 30m cable.....so I can't exactly send the cable back saying 'it don't work'...and my laptop works on the TV when connected through the 1m hdmi cable.......so like I said, my only guess is the laptop signal is weaker than the ps3 signal and it's lost before the 15m booster.

These kind of things really do my head in!!!

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 28/7/14 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Here's what I would do....

Run some cat 5 between the two - use these at each end

HDMI Over RJ45 CAT5e CAT6 UTP LAN Ethernet Balun Extender Repeater Support3D1080 | eBay
emplate_preview

I've done this myself over a reasonably long route through my house so i'm sure it's going to work.

stevebubs

posted on 28/7/14 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Raspberry Pi with wireless card and RaspBMC or similar behind her TV...if the TV is new enough, you can even control it via CEC ...

Then just share the media from the laptop using DLNA...

My 6 year old is more than capable of using XMBC...so no more "Dad, can you put XXX on..."

[Edited on 28/7/14 by stevebubs]

stevebubs

posted on 28/7/14 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hey...if the PS3 works, just stream from the laptop to the PS3 using PS3MediaServer...
britishtrident

posted on 29/7/14 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
DLNA to a Chromecast, but you need to be able to connect the Chromecast wirelessly.

Chromecast is vastly over hyped but it should be able to do this without much hassle?

[Edited on 29/7/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

19sac65

posted on 29/7/14 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
Get one of those cyclone media players off ebay - about £20
Probably cheaper than the leads your buying
Then just put films on a flash drive and plug them in

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.