Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 12/8/14 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Classic Vespa

I've been tasked with trying to find a classic Vespa project for my uncle's 60th birthday present from his wife.

Firstly, has anyone on here got anything knocking around the garage in bits which needs some TLC ?

Failing that, what's the best scooter forum to sign up to or where else should I be looking ?

What model should I be looking for ?

As you may have guessed, I've no idea about scooters (a little too young to appreciate it).
Once I get a fix on the model, I will check eBay too but I need to know what I'm looking for first.

Suggestions please

jps

posted on 12/8/14 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barkalarr
I've been tasked with trying to find a classic Vespa project for my uncle's 60th birthday present from his wife.

Firstly, has anyone on here got anything knocking around the garage in bits which needs some TLC ?

Failing that, what's the best scooter forum to sign up to or where else should I be looking ?

What model should I be looking for ?

As you may have guessed, I've no idea about scooters (a little too young to appreciate it).
Once I get a fix on the model, I will check eBay too but I need to know what I'm looking for first.

Suggestions please

I had a Vespa when I was 17, although it was one of the 'automatic' ones rather than the 'original'. At the time I made the mistake of thinking that Vespa and Lambretta were much the same - but I discovered they weren't: Lambretta's haven't been made for decades, but Vespas have continued in production since the 40's, or whenever they first built them (and you can buy brand new 'retro style' Vepsas now. (http://www.uk.vespa.com/uk/index.html#/vespa/UK/uk/Model/Vespa-PX/Vespa-PX-125)

Not sure how interchangeable the parts are - but presume the design did gradually evolve rather than make radical jumps (think Austin-Rover Mini?). If that's the case it might not matter so much which exact one you buy...?

You can see how many different model variations they went through here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vespa#Vespa_models

Depending on what licence your uncle has - note that they came in versions both under and over 125cc (this was a cut of point for licences when I got one, not sure how it stands now though...)

[Edited on 12/8/14 by jps]

[Edited on 12/8/14 by jps]

mookaloid

posted on 12/8/14 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
I think you need more to go on. Has she got photos of him with one back in the day so you can see what he had?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 12/8/14 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
I think you need more to go on. Has she got photos of him with one back in the day so you can see what he had?

Good shout that man !! - didn't think of that...

big_wasa

posted on 12/8/14 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
First thing I would do is see how comitted she is. There is no such thing as a cheap scoot these days. She needs to be prepared to pay a grand and up for a project.

I would think somthing like a Gs 160 SS180 would fit the bill as a nice period scoot but if it does'nt have to be old then you could find a complete and ridable 80's~90's Px for around a grand.

Places to look, Classifieds in Scootering, phone around the dealers in Scootering and ebay. If he really wants an older classic scoot then there are firms importing them from India.

Best vespa ever was the T5 classic I regret selling my T5 more than the Locost .

I am after one for my birthday/ mid life crissis next year. They still make The Px125 and PX150 and they are £3000~£3200 then there is the licenced copy the Lml for around a grand less.

The sccotering mag can be found on the shelfs of Tesco and wh smiths ect

One of the most iconic vespas was the Gs160 ridden by Sting in the film Quadrphenia

[Edited on 12/8/14 by big_wasa]

perksy

posted on 12/8/14 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thats just lovely

Lad at work has just finished a full nut and bolt restoration on an old Lambretta and its lovely, But lets just say it went over budget

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.