Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Removing Ceramic tiles kitchen/bathroom
philw

posted on 31/8/14 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Removing Ceramic tiles kitchen/bathroom

How the hell do I remove tiles that are fixed to stud walling? is it possible? so far I have managed to rip chunks out of the wall is there a proper way of doing it or will I have to get the whole area drylined?

Must try harder

bigfoot4616

posted on 31/8/14 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
i always remove the lot if its tiled onto plasterboard, much easier. you also start with a nice new clean surface to tile onto.

just make sure you replace any plasterboard in wet areas with a waterproof tile backer board( i usually use marmox) or tank the plasterboard.

JoelP

posted on 31/8/14 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Tiles cannot be removed from unplastered plasterboard, just rip it all off and start again.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

big-vee-twin

posted on 31/8/14 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
There's only one way - the hard way.

Remove the plasterboard and start again.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

bigfoot4616

posted on 31/8/14 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Tiles cannot be removed from unplastered plasterboard, just rip it all off and start again.

unless its going to be really hard to reboard i wouldn't even try and remove tiles from skimmed plasterboard

John P

posted on 31/8/14 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I've had some success using a flexible stripping knife which I pressed so the blade was virtually parallel with the wall and carefully hit it with a hammer. This was quite successful over most of the area although there was one small section I had to repair afterwards.

If there's old adhesive still on the wall afterwards, which there probably will be, then try a wallpaper steamer which softens it (possibly only if it was originally the ready mixed type) and makes it fairly easy to remove without doing any further dama

Good luck,

John.

bigfoot4616

posted on 31/8/14 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
by the time you've done all that you might as well rip everything of and start again.

having said that i'm doing it for paying customers so labour costs money, if your doing it for yourself at home i suppose labour is free.

philw

posted on 31/8/14 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys, I've bitten the bullet and cut the offending area out with a stanley knife, I will get some plaster board tomorrow and patch it in

Must try harder

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.