Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Work glove recommendations - Operating a steam boat
dhutch

posted on 2/9/14 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Work glove recommendations - Operating a steam boat

Odd question, but I am after some gloves to used on our boat and am after suggestions for something I can slip on quickly to do something like oil an oil point, or turn a tap/valve, but which I can then take off again striaght away.

Current I use various gloves if doing specific jobs; from nitrial rubber to welding gountlets, but tend not to for quick jobs which ends up with me walking around with oil on my hands a lot, and cleaning my hands with gritted cleaner maybe 20times a day which over a weekend knackers them and I regret it for most of the following week.

Where so I get decent gloves without breaking the bank and what should I be looking for?

Daniel

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 2/9/14 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Costco do some really great quick use work gloves, they come in boxes of ten pairs for <£10.

They are half way between a latex glove and a full mechanics glove, with a rubber palm and a material back, I use them for everything and they last a surprisingly long time..

I cant find them on the website but they are like these ones but black and certianly not £40.

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/cos_11,cos_11.10,cos_11.10.4/139573L

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Irony

posted on 2/9/14 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
http://ironclad.com

http://www.konggloves.com

I have a pair of Ironclad Cold Climate gloves and I have used them for ski gloves and then the felling trees. Pretty awesome.

micksalt

posted on 2/9/14 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
When driving the steam loco, I don't use gloves, I just have a cloth handy to sit between my hands and anything hot. Allows for much better feel of the controls than gloves.
Rod Ends

posted on 2/9/14 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
What would Fred Dibnah do?

He'd grab the nearest oily rag or failing that use his hanky!

rachaeljf

posted on 2/9/14 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
"What's flash point o' yer cap?"
micksalt

posted on 2/9/14 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Your main problem is being able to remove gloves if they get covered in boiling water from a sudden escapement of steam. You can just drop a rag.
Grimsdale

posted on 2/9/14 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
oven glove
richardm6994

posted on 2/9/14 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Having 2 full sized traction engines and half a dozen or so locos to play with for most of my life....I'd strongly agree with the oily rag comments.

[Edited on 2/9/14 by richardm6994]

dhutch

posted on 2/9/14 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardm6994
Having 2 full sized traction engines and half a dozen or so locos to play with for most of my life....I'd strongly agree with the oily rag comments.

I have rags, and maybe I should stick with them and just change them daily or something, but as the name and use implies they tend to get oil on them which then gets transferred to your hand next time you pick it up and its the other way round.

Clearly in an idea world it wouldn't all be so fithy, and might be a bit more like operating a loco, but in practice its a confined space thats not overly well ventilated so there is a lot of sooty and oil residue around and unlike a loco your not driving it from the engine room, so your in (getting oily...?) and then out again (wanting to be not oily) all the time.

The IronClad link has some interesting gloves so I will look at that again.

In the past I have used what most call 'rigger gloves' but as they are typically unbranded the quality/fit/cost seems to vary wildly even if you go back to the same place and try and buy another batch the same.
On the plus side, most come off if you shake them, although I dont think there is much danger of having to remove a hot glove in a hurry.

Daniel

[Edited on 2/9/2014 by dhutch]

dhutch

posted on 2/9/14 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
And in case anyone was wondering, yes I was on the boat this weekend, and yes I did start the thread at work while wishing my hands where less dry and generally buggered.

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.