Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sparky in Sheffield/Chesterfield
Alfa145

posted on 16/10/14 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sparky in Sheffield/Chesterfield

As this site came up with a top recommendation for a gas engineer a few years ago can anyone recommend me a sparky in Sheffield/Chesterfield area for quoting for a small job to get power in my shed from the garage?
BenB

posted on 16/10/14 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Is it worth doing it officially? I'm not sure having a garage fitted with leccy adds much to the value of a property when it's time to sell. I'd be tempted to do a semi-permanent installation and be done with it. The only reason I'd enclose the wire in trunking is if I thought the local stupid squirrels / rabbits / rats would nibble through and cause me to waste time joining the broken ends.
I've had a extension reel style wire going down to my brewing shed for the last 3 months. No rules broken, no issues. It's not permanent so it's not an issue. The fact that the extension reel is homebrew and could happily take the average power output of a power station is irrelevant. It's non permanent so it's not an issue.
If it's a rental it's different but if it's for your own home I wouldn't worry! It's only an issue when you come to sell when you can whip it out.

Alfa145

posted on 17/10/14 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
I could do and happy to make the changes I just don't know what to do.

The shed is only 3 feet from the end of the garage. I could run a fused spur from the socket circuit in the garage to give me 2 double sockets in the shed but I would have a couple of questions.

No chance of a trench so what type of cable/height/protection should be used for the wire between the garage and the shed? Armoured? Normal twin & earth 2.5mm2 in a plastic tube? Or should I be looking at bigger wire?

Would I need a mini distribution board in the shed or just wire direct into 2 double sockets?

Is a 13amp fused spur enough?

Above all I want it to be safe, don't fancy burning things down for the sake of getting a proper sparky in to do it properly.

samjc

posted on 17/10/14 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Question is what do you want it for and how many sockets/lights.
Also what is the feed to the garage from house is this to a small consumer unit (break pannel) and if so are their any spare spaces in this so the shed can be on its own circuit.

Easiest way if its for a single socket and 1 light would be a fused spure from a socket in the garage, if the garage system is all fine.

Alfa145

posted on 17/10/14 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Garage has its own consumer unit. With plenty of spaces. And has a big cable run from the house consumer unit. All that has been done correctly by the previous owner on that front.

Shed requirements are 1 single neon light. and probably plug for mower/strimmer/wood mitre saw/other odd tools used on their own. Nothing high powered like a welder though.

Was just going to have the light on a plug to save having a proper switch. So was thinking 2 double sockets at the most.

[Edited on 17/10/14 by Alfa145]

samjc

posted on 17/10/14 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Id say 2.5mm armoured cable for extra protection run from the garage consumer unit on its own breaker. Most will say its overkill but you can then put your double sockets in and a switched fuse spur for lights off one of the sockets.
samjc

posted on 17/10/14 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
1.5mm would be ample if your not berrying it. Only issue you have it to work out safest way of getting the cable to the shed. I have seen people make up steel angle type bridge to hold the cable up safely bolted at each end.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.