Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Developing an Android App
Ivan

posted on 17/10/14 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Developing an Android App

Hi - this is hopelessly of topic but I know that someone here will have the knowledge to help me.

I am looking to have an App developed for Android that will do the following:

1/ Will provide a pull down box with the first level indicating general subjects such as Dashboard, Engine, Suspension etc.

2/ Choosing Dashboard for instance will provide a second level box with specifics of the chosen subject such as Gauges, switches, warning lights etc - once the specific item (e.g. Gauges) is chosen the app should,

3/ Switch on the GPS function of the phone and open the camera once the GPS has acquired a location.

4/ Allow one to take a photo and automatically write the item chosen in #2 above in the Comment field of the Exif file and write the GPS coordinates in the relevant exif fields.

5/ Automatically forward the photo as soon as there is good enough 3G connectivity by either emailing it to an address in the app, or downloading it to Cloud storage or sending it via something like WhatsApp (details not decided yet)

My question is - how long should writing such an App take a competent developer if it is possible to do this.

Smoking Frog

posted on 17/10/14 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
If it was the old visual basic, three to five days to have something working. Don't see why it should be any longer for android.
britishtrident

posted on 17/10/14 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
An plug-in for the Ian Hawkins Torque app would be the way to go.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Ivan

posted on 17/10/14 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
SF - Thanks - that's more or less what I thought

BT - forgive me but I am too IT ignorant to understand your comment - can you expand on it.

britishtrident

posted on 17/10/14 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Torque is an app that reads and displays OBD II data in a customisable dashboard style format, it records GPS tracks in Google Maps format and is fully customisable by plugins which include video TrackRecorder.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.