Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Redundancy
nick205

posted on 24/10/14 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Redundancy

Just completed the joyless task of making someone redundant. Second time I've had to do this in my career and it really is horrible. Thankfully the employee made it relatively straightforward and we have a good HR consultant to help ensure it's done correctly.

Not sure why I'm posting this TBH, maybe it helps to off load

Irony

posted on 24/10/14 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Doing it is just rubbish. I feel worse if the person has kids, mortgage etc.
Slimy38

posted on 24/10/14 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I had to go through the process with one of my old teams, it's probably the worst thing I've had to do. As you say you're pretty much destroying their livelihood.

Good HR is always a bonus, you can get in trouble if you get the process wrong.

Brook_lands

posted on 24/10/14 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
It's never good especially when it is through no fault of the person being made redundant.

I always used to do it on a Monday rather than a Friday and tell them that their full time job this week was to get another job, better they get out doing something than stew over it all weekend.

While it might seem like it at the time its not the end of the world, all the ones I have had to make redundant that I know about did OK if not better afterwards.

Been made redundant once myself, and to be honest it was a good thing, much happier now even if not as well paid.

r1_pete

posted on 24/10/14 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Its certainly not nice, especially when you know they are the sole bread winner and have family, done it too often to count now, it never gets easy...

Wish someone would do it to me mind.........

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 24/10/14 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
When it happened to me it made my blood boil, the tosser telling seemed to be really smug, could hardly contain his grin and I felt really let down. Even the hr wifey said he was horrible...

Even now years later in hindsight it still makes me cringe....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

bi22le

posted on 24/10/14 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
In the last 10 mins I have been told I was not successful in getting a job I really wanted. I am employed and paid ok but really want out.

I feel like I have just been made redundent, totally gutted.

The job hunting process is awful.

have a good weekend.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

craig1410

posted on 24/10/14 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
If it's any consolation, in my experience people who are made redundant almost always end up happier and more successful in their next job. Perhaps a combination of reasons such as:

1. The company they were working for is probably not in great shape.
2. They get a payout which can be significant depending on years worked.
3. They get a kick in their complacency which can make a huge difference to outcomes.
4. They get to work for a company who is hiring - usually a better bet than one which is making people redundant.
5. Best bit - they get to leave behind a load of baggage which accumulates over the years in any job. Fresh start!

So, it's by no means all bad - I've seen this pattern numerous times over the years and I always try to give this positive message to any affected people. I also do all I can to help them find new jobs (e.g.. LinkedIn referrals, introductions to people in my network, just a chat etc.)

Hope this helps,
Craig.

[Edited on 24/10/2014 by craig1410]

snapper

posted on 24/10/14 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
I don't understand why more companies go for voluntary first
Give those who are truly pi55ed off the chance to go and leave those who want a job still in with a chance

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

nick205

posted on 24/10/14 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
If it's any consolation, in my experience people who are made redundant almost always end up happier and more successful in their next job. Perhaps a combination of reasons such as:

1. The company they were working for is probably not in great shape.
2. They get a payout which can be significant depending on years worked.
3. They get a kick in their complacency which can make a huge difference to outcomes.
4. They get to work for a company who is hiring - usually a better bet than one which is making people redundant.
5. Best bit - they get to leave behind a load of baggage which accumulates over the years in any job. Fresh start!

So, it's by no means all bad - I've seen this pattern numerous times over the years and I always try to give this positive message to any affected people. I also do all I can to help them find new jobs (e.g.. LinkedIn referrals, introductions to people in my network, just a chat etc.)

Hope this helps,
Craig.

[Edited on 24/10/2014 by craig1410]

1. That's partly what made it difficult. The company grew by nearly 25% in the last 12 months. However it was in a totally new direction with new products. The redundancy came about as part of a refocus on what makes the company profitable. The product line with which the person was involved was made obsolete and there was simply no role left for the employee.

2. 22 months service so no redundancy payout.

3. No complacency involved, just no role left.

4 & 5 Can only wish the best for the future I guess.

twybrow

posted on 24/10/14 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
At a previous employer I had to do 3 rounds in my team in 3 years. The worst was making a chap redundant 3 weeks before Christmas, and he had 6 kids! But he went on to find a much better paying job, and the company paid him out handsomely, so not all bad in the end. It is not nice to have to give that news though - a low point in my career for sure.
AntonUK

posted on 24/10/14 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
While I'm currently a manager I'm not a manager of direct members of staff. My next career target is to have direct reports. But it is stories like this that make me think twice.

Closest I came was having to let a great team of contractors go that we we had kept constantly employed constantly for 3 years, Worse of all it was 3 days before christmas.

Build Photos Here

femster87

posted on 24/10/14 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
In the last 10 mins I have been told I was not successful in getting a job I really wanted. I am employed and paid ok but really want out.

I feel like I have just been made redundent, totally gutted.

The job hunting process is awful.

have a good weekend.

Cheer up. There are more jobs out there.

TimC

posted on 24/10/14 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I've had to have those conversations more times than I care to think about. The one that always sticks in my mind was 'Stretch', a genuinely enormous guy. By the time he left the room his shoulders had slumped and his head dropped to the extent that she looked like a little boy. No fun at all.

metro6r4

posted on 25/10/14 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
having just been made redundant myself I know how hard it is but if the employer is respectful about how they do it it can take a lot of the sting out of it. Hopefully the guy can find a new job quickly. With my redundancy the firm I was working for took the Mikey but I had the last laugh as I got a job with the competition the day after my redundancy went through on more money. I know its not always like this but like I said if you handled the situation in a respectful manor it makes things easier for all concerned

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.