Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: leaky toilet - what's the best way to seal?
smart51

posted on 31/10/14 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
leaky toilet - what's the best way to seal?

Following on from the tiles thread, I've lifted the tiles in the bathroom and dried out the floor, only to find that the toilet leaks a bit when flushed. It is coming from the link between the porcelain and the soil stack. What is the best DIY way to reseal the join?
macc man

posted on 31/10/14 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
The best way is to remove the pan and fit a new pan connector. Another way is to dry well and use a silicone sealer that will dry if it is still wet. Or get a plumber in.
britishtrident

posted on 31/10/14 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
You need either a flexible connector or an offset boss connector on the waste pipe this allows for height of the tiles which is just enough to misalign the waste pipe and cause a leak. The joint should not need any sealer on a modern system.

On the fresh water side I use a braided flexible hose with a built in isolating valve as makes life easier if you have to do any future work.

[Edited on 31/10/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

renetom

posted on 31/10/14 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
leak

There's only one way
fit a new pan connector
Cheap & easy to fit

Pan Connector 90 Degree WC Toilet Offset Boss Inlet Extension Flexi TRADE PRICES

britishtrident

posted on 31/10/14 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
link to offset connector Screwfix

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

nick205

posted on 31/10/14 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
As above, pull the pan out and fit a new connector. The connectors are push fit with finned rubber seals and don't need any sealant (in fact you're more likely to cause a leak by adding sealant). Make sure the porcelain and soil stack mating parts are clean and free from limescale etc.

slingshot2000

posted on 31/10/14 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
As above, pull the pan out and fit a new connector. The connectors are push fit with finned rubber seals and don't need any sealant (in fact you're more likely to cause a leak by adding sealant). Make sure the porcelain and soil stack mating parts are clean and free from limescale etc.
and from old silicon from a previous bodge

nick205

posted on 31/10/14 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
and from old silicon from a previous bodge

You're not wrong

That's usually the bit that takes the longest is sorting the previous bodgers work before applying your own bodge

cliftyhanger

posted on 31/10/14 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
And some fairy liquid/water to help the new pan connector slip on/in easily.
I too am a fan of flexi hoses, but avoid the cheapo ones. Make sure they are wras certified. Pan connectors too, buy branded, cheapo ones save a quick but are just not as good.

Agriv8

posted on 31/10/14 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
My experience is that once the seal is broken/moved between loo and poo pipe getting it to re-seal properly is a problem as limescale has built up behind the seal, Re-seating loo to poo pipe without removing the built up limescale can damage the seal or make it so it will not seat properly (guess how I found out ) especially if the loo is now in a slightly different place.

Pair of rubber glove a scouring pad and some bleach all done. I refit with a run of vasalene around the seal.

Ps check after a few days that it still dry.

ATB Agriv8

PS not a plumber but its worked for me in the past

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

smart51

posted on 31/10/14 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone. All fixed now. Tomorrow's job is to replace the tiles.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.