Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting an Outside Socket
John P

posted on 9/12/14 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Fitting an Outside Socket

I'd like to fit a permanent outside socket to avoid running extension leads from the house.

I was thinking of running a spur from the back of a socket on the ring main to a fused RCD and then to weatherproof socket but having done some searching I'm confused about whether the separate RCD is necessary or even a good idea as the whole ring main is protected by an RCBO at the consumer unit.

Any advice would be appreciated.

John.

PS: I appreciate this probably should be done by a qualified electrician but if at all possible I'd like to do it myself. (Pre Part P I did quite a lot of electrical work and even worked in the electrical department of a factory for a while).

cliftyhanger

posted on 9/12/14 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I would run the spur as suggested, probably put a dp switched fused spur inside the house if convenient/possible. No RCD requied as protection is already there. And do it myself.....
serieslandy

posted on 9/12/14 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
That's exactly how my dad has his and he is an electrician.
I've got mine coming straight off the consumer unit on a seperate mcb.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 9/12/14 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Mine comes off it's own independent RCBO. Single 2.5mm T+E is deemed OK, set up as a spur on a 16A by the guys that installed and certified the 100A feed out to the garage CU.

The wife tested it, cutting the electric hedgetrimmer cable twice in one day. Protection worked beautifully, would've been catastrophic otherwise.

dhutch

posted on 10/12/14 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
I would run the spur as suggested, probably put a dp switched fused spur inside the house if convenient/possible. No RCD requied as protection is already there. And do it myself.....
Sounds about right to me.

Mines a spur of a RCD+MCB protected ring, DoublePole with Neon so you can isolated a fault, but it is unfused.

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.