Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cutting and working with Perspex, best tools/techniques
scotty g

posted on 12/12/14 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
cutting and working with Perspex, best tools/techniques

Hi all,
as above really, what's the best way to cut sheets of perspex, I need to cut up some big sheets of the stuff to put all around the kitchen as splash backs but I have never worked with the stuff before so thought some of you guys might have some experience.
All advise gratefully received.
Cheers.

[Edited on 12/12/14 by scotty g]

scotty g

posted on 12/12/14 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Oops.
Had to edit my post as it isn't acrylic but perspex (not sure what the difference is).

bi22le

posted on 12/12/14 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

We work with acrilic and perspex. They both present the same problems whe doing the work you speak of.

For long cuts use a band saw if you can with a wood cutting blade. If you need to use a jig saw for plugs then use an upward facing toothed cutter (Backwards to normal) as it is less likely to chip the plastic. Make sure you dont use metal blades as it just melts back to gether. Keeping the blade cool and moving is key. Use a router or power file to finish off the edges depending on the finish you want.

I take it you have already purchased the the plastic?

If not I can give you the BEST tip of the year!!

Go to formica supplier and use that instead. I did this in my kitchen and it looks amazing. I used cheap 8mm MDF as backing \ template. Once I was happy I contack adheisive on my bright green (ooohh yeah!!) formica and routed round to get a perfect finish, including the plugs. THen just no more nailed it to the wall.

In glass it would of cost 1000's in plastic 100's in formica it was about 250 for the whole kitchen splash back, approx 8M worth from top cupboards down to work surface.

It looks the nuts with down lights.

ATB

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Irony

posted on 12/12/14 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Perspex is a brand name. Your probably talking about polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is a very tough substance that face masks and riot shield are made from. Its also very expensive when compared to acrylic. Acrylic looks more or less identical to Polycarbonate but acrylic is far less tough. This means however you can work with it easier. Its very difficult to tell them apart from looking at them but if you grind one of them you get a fruity sort of smell and the other doesn't. I can't remember which one it is though.

Both materials can be cut with standard woodworking tools but poly will blunt them quickly. I would buy the pieces cut to size myself as a bench saw or wall saw is preferable. Acrylic will shatter, if you jar it to much. Also if to much heat is applied during cutting the plastic will fuse back together behind the blade. Which is just plain odd. I have run sheets of acrylic/polycarbonate through bandsaws before and been left with a single piece of plastic again.

I have a huge sheet of 10mm thick acrylic as my shower panel. I had it cut and polished to size. When attaching it I had to make the holes for the bolts a few mm bigger than the bolts as it swells and contracts a lot when the warm water hits it. It's still fine after 3 years.

I would get it cut to size by a professional myself. I can utterly recommend

http://www.trentplastics.co.uk

dhutch

posted on 12/12/14 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Perspex is a brand name. Your probably talking about polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is a very tough substance that face masks and riot shield are made from. Its also very expensive when compared to acrylic. Acrylic looks more or less identical to Polycarbonate but acrylic is far less tough. This means however you can work with it easier. Its very difficult to tell them apart from looking at them but if you grind one of them you get a fruity sort of smell and the other doesn't. I can't remember which one it is though.

Both materials can be cut with standard woodworking tools but poly will blunt them quickly. I would buy the pieces cut to size myself as a bench saw or wall saw is preferable. Acrylic will shatter, if you jar it to much. Also if to much heat is applied during cutting the plastic will fuse back together behind the blade. Which is just plain odd. I have run sheets of acrylic/polycarbonate through bandsaws before and been left with a single piece of plastic again.

I have a huge sheet of 10mm thick acrylic as my shower panel. I had it cut and polished to size. When attaching it I had to make the holes for the bolts a few mm bigger than the bolts as it swells and contracts a lot when the warm water hits it. It's still fine after 3 years.

I would get it cut to size by a professional myself. I can utterly recommend

http://www.trentplastics.co.uk

Perspex is a trade name for Acrylic (Plexiglas in the US) , as said, with but Polycarbonate (or Lexan, to use a US trade name..) being the other commonly used plastic.

One of the problems is that both can have the properties changed a lot depending on the process and fillers, etc.

Most common issues asside from scratching stem from uncontrolled splitting or tearing if the tool jams causing a point load.

If its a tough enough grade, scoring and folding can work for straight cuts, is if it brittle enough scoring and snapping like glass can also work.

Otherwise I would be reading internet sites for advice as the must be plenty out there.

Daniel

HowardB

posted on 12/12/14 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
in the true theme of "man kitchens" mine had brushed stainless steel splashbacks,... bought, folded, and no-nails to the wall. Sockets holes and other features cut without issue.

I'll look for some pictures,..

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

scotty g

posted on 12/12/14 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just to update on progress.
Marked the sheet and lined up the jigsaw, clamped a long length of melamine kickboard down to act as a guide for the jigsaw but it wouldn't cut straight.. Broke out the rip saw which did cut straight but, well, ripped!!!!! Then tried a brand new blade in the jigsaw and it cut a treat, as long as i kept the motor speed high and my push rate low it cut a lovely smooth straight line. I may have nicked the leg on our nice new oak table a bit but hopefully the missus won't notice that! Ahem. All packed away for the night now so will finish the cutting tomorrow then get it all glued up.
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Davey D

posted on 12/12/14 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
On the subject of polycarbonate. Is there an easy way to bend it? I have a part I need to make from 6mm polycarbonate. It's only around 150mm wide but I need to bend it to around 140deg.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.