Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Face sealing. O ring vs gasket
tegwin

posted on 27/3/15 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Face sealing. O ring vs gasket

Be curious what peoples thoughts are on this..

This kind of head-torch uses an O-Ring to seal the lens against the body.... they claim its good for 100m of water!!

I understand the theory of how O rings distort to give a seal etc..

I am looking at creating a lamp with a slightly more complex shape where machining an O-ring groove wont be as simple.

Could a similar level of seal be achieved by sandwiching a rubber/silicone sheet between the polycarboante lens and the alloy body do you think?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

owelly

posted on 27/3/15 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
I used to skim the cylinder heads off my 125 race bikes and machine a groove for an o-ring to sit in so they hold pressure well, but on later mods to the heads, instead of machining a groove, I machined a shoulder on the head and a recess in the cylinder. I then chamfered the outer edge of the shoulder to allow a space for the o-ring. The o-ring was squidged into the corner of the recess by the chamfered edge if that makes any sense. Would that be an option for your application?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 27/3/15 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Its an option but the new lamp is oblong with different radii either end meaning I would really need a mill to make that happen.

I only have a lathe so was trying to get out of cutting an O ring groove

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

coyoteboy

posted on 27/3/15 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've done a fair bit of "trying to make stuff seal" for both vacuum and high pressure. A good closed cell neoprene gasket will work fairly well but you will have to get the surfaces perfectly flat and evenly pressured to get a good high pressure seal. o-ring sealing is really highly dependant on groove size anyway (fractions of a mm either way) but if you have a flexi front face like that lamp you might find a gasket is a bit poo, but so would an oring be. I'll mill your grooves when my CNC is back alive again, for a small fee

tegwin

posted on 27/3/15 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm... interesting thought.

I do have data tables here that are pretty specific about O-ring groove sizes etc hence why I didnt want to try and chew them out by hand ....

coyoteboy

posted on 27/3/15 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah you'd be best either neoprene gasketing (lasts well, cheap and easy to cut, seals nicely) or machining, no o-ring will work hand done

Dingz

posted on 28/3/15 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
unless you can achieve perfectly flat surfaces with no distortion when you clamp them to gether go for an O ring in the correct size groove.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.