Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which electric heating system?
DIY Si

posted on 10/5/15 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Which electric heating system?

I am in the process of buying a Victorian red brick, 2 bed, end terrace house. There is no gas to the village it is in. It currently uses a single storage heater and open fire down stairs, along with convector heaters in the bedrooms.

As the place needs some work, I will have the option to fit just about any form of heating system, bar mains gas powered versions. I would prefer to keep it all electric if I can, as space for an oil or LPG tank is very limited. The front garden is mainly steps up from the street and the back garden is fully enclosed with access across the back of the terrace, through the neighbours gardens. UFH is a possibility downstairs as I may need to rip up the existing concrete floor to sort the levels out, so it could be put in when the new floor goes in. There will be a stove going in, and that could easily be one with a back boiler as the pipe work would be simple. Economy 10 metering is available in the area.

This will be my house for the next few (5-ish I'd guess) years and is just for me as things stand, with my little one visiting for weekends.

So with that situation, what would you go for and why? I'm leaning towards some form of heat store and wet central heating, being topped up by the stove boiler and maybe a solar hot water panel or two on the South West facing rear roof.......

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

daniel mason

posted on 10/5/15 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
It all depends on circumstance!
Are you wanting residual heat during daytime? Or are you out all day?
Are you wanting things to heat up quickly? Or not that fussed? These are all factors which need carefully considering before you choose
We have fitted a lot of rointe wall mounted heaters which are good, and can be controlled via remote if needed.
A standard underfloor kit may well heat up relatively quickly if just under a tiled surface, but as a primary heat source in my opinion it would make more sense to have some type of insulating/reflective barrier under, with a relative thick screed and tile/flag which will store the heat far far better, but in return will take much longer to heat.
Any type Of fan/ air heater will heat instantly, but will loose heat instantly when turned off!
The denser the material to be heated, like the oil filled rointe's will stay warm longer, but obviously not like the old brick filled storage heaters

[Edited on 10/5/15 by daniel mason]

benchmark51

posted on 11/5/15 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Don't forget about solar energy. If it cant supply all your energy needs, it can cotribute to a lot of savings.
DIY Si

posted on 11/5/15 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
I'm usually out at work from 7.30/8 to 4ish, so it wouldn't need to be warm all day, and it wouldn't need to heat up instantly either as I'm happy to just chuck a jumper on whilst it does warm up. If/when the floor gets ripped up, it'll be as well insulated as I can sensibly get the new one, along with the walls having insulated plasterboard as they need re-doing anyway.

I'm not expecting the place to be as uniformly warm or as cheap to run as a normal gas central heating system, but I would like a system that is more convenient than storage rads! Equally, if fancy storage rads are a cheap way forward, then that could be an option.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Daf

posted on 11/5/15 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
I'm in a similar situation with no mains gas and nowehere Id really want to put an oil tank. Until about 6 months ago I was using a gas boiler running from gas bottles, when that broke I replaced it with a 9kW Amptec boiler. It's absolutely brilliant, it works like a normal boiler - i.e. fills a tank - and it's been fantastic. Radiators heat up quickly, plenty of hot water and compared to a traditional boiler it's tiny plus it hardly costs any more to run than the gas bottles. I pressurised the central heating system when installing the boiler - this has made a huge difference too. The house is a medium sized 3 bed.

Cheers

Daf

JoelP

posted on 11/5/15 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Myself I'd start with insulation, electric ufh and try to use the stove where possible. I'd fit an electric hot tank and electric shower.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/5/15 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
have a look at consort electric heaters, I have these in 2 big houses for over 10 years and they are totally maintenance free. Remote controlled from one or more wall thermostats, I Had zero issues with them and you just forget their there. Temp is kept within 1/2 Deg all year without having to manage anything, no noise, no smells just a warm house. Installed them at a fraction of the cost of a plumbed in heating system.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.