Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding help please
ChrisW

posted on 20/5/15 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Welding help please

Hi everyone

I've had a Clarke 151TE welder for a few years. Always used it with disposable gas bottles in the past but recently made the switch to 'Adams Gas' co2/argon mix.

Since switching gas I've had a problem with heat. First time out I melted the metal shroud. Just been out to weld some 16 gauge box section and managed to melt the brass tip jamming the wire.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong, but what? Only thing I can think is that it must be down to either a lack of or too much gas flow? If so, what should I be setting the regulator to?

Pics to illustrate:

welder 1
welder 1

welder 2
welder 2

welder 3
welder 3

Thanks, Chris

[Edited on 20/5/2015 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RedAvon

posted on 20/5/15 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

I've got a 151TE with the same setup and use it outside but sheltered by the garage doors - I use around 15 -17 litre/min on the gas flow, and to check it I switch the electric off and press the trigger to make sure of the flow as it can fluctuate down a little.

From your pic though - assuming the control valve on the bottle is turned on in the picture - there is no pressure in the bottle showing on the gauge?

Hope that helps,

Regards
Ian

[Edited on 20/5/15 by RedAvon]

Bricoleur

Benzine

posted on 20/5/15 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
This thread is relevant to my interests. I have the same issue with a 151. With CO2 it welds quite cool, as soon as I switch to Argon/CO2 it makes really nice welds but there's just way too much heat and does the same as yours
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 20/5/15 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RedAvon
I've got a 151TE with the same setup and use it outside but sheltered by the garage doors - I use around 15 -17 litre/min on the gas flow, and to check it I switch the electric off and press the trigger to make sure of the flow as it can fluctuate down a little.

From your pic though - assuming the control valve on the bottle is turned on in the picture - there is no pressure in the bottle showing on the gauge?

Hi Ian

Thanks for that, I didn't have the gas up anything like as high as that earlier this evening. Will have to try it higher. Need to get a new tip first.

In the valve pic the gas was turned off hence why it's not showing any pressure.

Benzine - I hadn't considered it was a different gas that was the issue. I'm off out to the garage to check what gas was in the disposables....

My gaff my rules

RedAvon

posted on 20/5/15 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Just for further info. re: Benzine's note about gas types; I use Hobby Weld Mix HW5 2% O2, 5% CO2, 93% Ar and have a MUREX saffire regulator for Argon CO2.

Regards
Ian

Bricoleur

RedAvon

posted on 20/5/15 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

The flow is probably higher than recommended but I compensate for being outside, I think it should be around 12 litre/min inside.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Ian

Bricoleur

Davey D

posted on 20/5/15 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Typically you want to run around 12ltr/min if you are indoors and free from wind. What size wire are you using? And what size contact tip?

If you are using 0.8mm wire and 0.8mm tip, id try moving up to a 1mm tip to start with. What model of torch are you using, and what amperage are you welding at? It might be that if you are using a small hobby sized torch you may be over the limit of what it can handle power wise.

Edit: looking at for your photos again. Either you have huge pliers or your Mig torch uses a tiny shroud meaning it's a small torch that can't handle the heat

[Edited on 20/5/15 by Davey D]

ChrisW

posted on 20/5/15 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like the disposable cylinders were co2 so that fits with the theory that the welder runs hotter on argon/co2 mix.

Yes, it's a hobby-sized MIG but I'm not running it any higher than I used to with the old gas and it coped before fine. For info, the shroud is 45mm long - I know because I just had to order a new one!

Wire I have also just checked as new tips needed. 0.6mm. Not sure if that's good or bad - it's the original reel that came with the welder!

Link to the welder: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/151te-turbo-mig-welder

[Edited on 20/5/2015 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.