Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PC sim racing
p2ccolo

posted on 9/6/15 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
PC sim racing

Anybody else on here doing any pc sim racing? Just setup my PC and currently playing Project Cars... was wondering if anyone else on here plays online?
HappyFather

posted on 9/6/15 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I've started playing last month on "iRacing". Bought a Logitech G27 wheel + peddles + gearshift and been doing some races.
The initial idea was to learn and practice some driving skills so that I don't look like an elderly next time I go on a track day. But it is becoming a nice hobby.

jonabonospen

posted on 9/6/15 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't get in to the PC sim racing but I did have a full on sim racing setup running a PS3 for Gran Turismo

Had a Thrustmaster T500 wheel and changed the pedals you see in the pic for some Fanatec Clubsport pedals and a TH8 shifter. All fitted in to an rseat EVO rig with a custom MDF base unit, painted and stickered up with custom sized go-kart decals

MAC#1 ZX10R WORX BUILD BLOG: http://mac1-zx10r-worx-build-blog.tumblr.com/

MY PERSONAL BLOG: http://jonabonospen.tumblr.com/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
HappyFather

posted on 10/6/15 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Nice looking playseat, jonabonospen!

My PC desk now looks a bit odd. Had to move some stuff around. The keyboard is on the right, for short periods of usage (this post) is OK, for longer typing I just put it on my lap.
Yes, my gearstick is on my right side, I'm a LHD
computer desk
computer desk

jeffw

posted on 10/6/15 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Project Cars & Assetto Corsa http://www.assettocorsa.net/en/ (my fav) are the ones getting played at the moment.

p2ccolo

posted on 10/6/15 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Nice setups, I have just got all the fanatec clubsport stuff, and a new pc, still messing around with the force feedback and things but enjoying it so far and really only playing project cars and assetto corsa.

How is iRacing?

gkfury

posted on 10/6/15 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a sim racing addict (nerd). I play iRacing exclusively nowadays. I find their online racing miles ahead of all other games, especially with their safety rating system. I designed and built my own rig based around a motion chair with the computer concealed within the base. Currently finishing it with formica and building a servo powered steering wheel from scratch...

leon51274

posted on 10/6/15 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Boys and there toys, love it!
p2ccolo

posted on 10/6/15 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Here's mine, still need to Mount some speakerss and setup the clubsport shifter and handbrake...

[Edited on 10/6/15 by p2ccolo]

daniel mason

posted on 10/6/15 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like something I need in my life!
TheGiantTribble

posted on 10/6/15 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
I still play Grand prix legends.
Try'd rFactor but just didn't feel as connected/real as GPL.

Marcus

posted on 13/6/15 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming the wife doesn't read this, what spec PC would I need to run this stuff?

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HappyFather

posted on 13/6/15 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
@p2ccolo
I don't know Assento nor Project Cars. Besides iRacing only tried rFactor2 and found iRacing to be miles above.
What attracted me to iRacing was the career, with defined goals for progression, competitions with free time-tables (having 2 kids, I'm often not available to play at common European hours), prizes, reviews.
So far I'm happy with the choice.

On the negative side, it is a bit expensive. This is a subscription game. I used a code from a site (http://www.retailmenot.com/view/iracing.com) to get my first 3 months for only 5USD (4,5EUR, probably 4GBP). I plan on trying codes for subscription renewal. Besides, I now have ranked on road races and for next season (there are 4 per year) I can participate in new competitions. To be able to participate I'll have to buy either cars and/or tracks. At 15USD a track and 12USD a car, even with the 20% discount for 6+ items bought, I'm looking for some 80USD to be able to participate on the Skip Barber championship (US version of Formula 2000).

@Marcus
I'm using iRacing and a Logitech G27 on a PC with the following specs (and it works well, FPS over 60 and good ping):
* CPU = Intel i5 4430 @ 3Ghz
* RAM = 16GB
* Graphics board = GeForce GTX660
* Hard Drive = SATA (not SDD)
* OS = Windows 7 64 bits

For sound, I have a 7.1 surround Ozone O3 headset.

I only have one 27" monitor. I'm aware that this graphics board would not be able to manage 3 monitors nor an Oculus Rift. So consider that if you plan to go 3 displays or buy the Oculus now (DK2) or in Q1 2016 (CV1). I believe high-end racers with 3 monitors usually have a GTX780 or better.

Cheers,
HappyFather

MikeRJ

posted on 13/6/15 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Are there any decent racing sims that include rally stages rather than roads or short circuits?
inkafone

posted on 14/6/15 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
Used to love GPL as the 60's cars were my era - unbelievable number of mods with some wonderful tracks. Live for Speed has some rally style stages and a good range of cars including sevens.
HappyFather

posted on 14/6/15 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Are there any decent racing sims that include rally stages rather than roads or short circuits?

Looking at forum about Racing Sim I joined, it seems the most relevant rally sim that exists is the Richard Burns Rally. It is an old game, from 2004, but there is a large modding community that releases a mod every year. The mod made the game playable online, amongst other evolutions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Burns_Rally
Do note that some people consider a must have to have an additional handbrake lever to play rally sims. I don't know how to add that to a Logitech G27 or Thrustmaster T500 setup. Fanantech have the handbrake as one of their components (but Fanatech is soooo expensive).

Cheers,
HappyFather

MikeRJ

posted on 15/6/15 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HappyFather
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

Looking at forum about Racing Sim I joined, it seems the most relevant rally sim that exists is the Richard Burns Rally. It is an old game, from 2004, but there is a large modding community that releases a mod every year. The mod made the game playable online, amongst other evolutions.

Thanks. Just looking around it seems that "Dirt Rally" is going to be released imminently (pre-release already available) and gets excellent reviews for being much more of a simulator than Codemaster's previous efforts.

p2ccolo

posted on 15/6/15 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'll definitely be buying Dirt Rally.

Spent hours over the weekend learning to drift in Assetto Corsa, starting to get it down now, so much fun, though now it's made me want to buy the Fanatec drift wheel, but don't think I could justify the price.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.