Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Planning permission to put up a garage/barn?
PSpirine

posted on 21/7/15 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Planning permission to put up a garage/barn?

Locost collective, I have a vaguely car related question as a result of grappling with the ridiculous land use laws and restrictions that exist here in lovely Britain.

I know you need planning permission for everything from weeding your garden to putting up a beach parasol these days, but:

I want to buy a plot of land near me, partly to walk the dogs, but primarily I'd like somewhere to store my cars. Not as a business, nothing of particularly high value, but I do enjoy buying (usually old, often worthless, sometimes rusty) classics and not-so-classics, and storing them is often a problem.

What is the easiest/cheapest way, to get somewhere where I can put up a wooden barn/workkshop/garage structure to store say 5-10 cars? If I can work on them in there, fantastic, if not, even storing would be a start.

There's plots for sale abound for ~10k an acre, but it's all agricultural land or land laid to pasture - not even sure if those are different.

1) What sort of planning permission would I need to put up a barn/garage for my cars?

2) Appreciate this varies by locale, but what is the realistic chance of getting planning permission to convert to the relevant use (even if it forces it into commercial??)

I do not want to rent a corner of a barn from a farmer, and I don't intend to use it for commercial purposes, but am happy to protect/futureproof for such use. Also happy to let a large part of the land be used by local farmers for sheep grazing or some such.

Obviously if anyone here has a plot suitable, I'd be interested to hear!

Thanks!

cliftyhanger

posted on 21/7/15 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect building a barn for "agricultural" purposes would be the way to go, with maybe a "bit" of space to keep some cars. Once built I doubt it would attract any attention.
jmad

posted on 21/7/15 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Planning for agricultural land has some specific rules, and I imagine if you were to mention storing cars it would be a straight no. Now if you needed some storage for machinery to look after the farm land you might have more chance.
coozer

posted on 21/7/15 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Dude near me years ago bought a field for his donkeys and traction engine... after years of wrangling over a stable and shed, planning says NO NO NO...

He has now sold it to a developer who is going to build 350 houses!

One rule for some and another for others eh? He has cashed in a fair bit mind...

I doubt you will get permission for any type of building on it..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

ali f27

posted on 21/7/15 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Brown envelope cozzer at least the greeks are honest about backhanders
Sam_68

posted on 21/7/15 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
This is my province, and you're my neck of the woods if you are Cotswolds.

Short answer is that it's a long shot.

If you want the long answer, U2U me.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.