Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IT / database / Boffin help
locoboy

posted on 23/7/15 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
IT / database / Boffin help

Collective folks........

I work for a breakers and I would say that 70% of our phone calls result in us saying, sorry we do not have that part at the moment.

I need to think of a way that we can capture all these requests in a nice simple, concise and searchable manner so that every time we get a new breaker in I can search the enquiries for anyone that has asked for parts from that make and model of car.

Easy enough to do in excel, I get that but the problem we have is that we are not office bound so one minute I could be on the fork lift, the next on the mezzanine floor, then back in the office.

Is there a way to have something on a tablet or phone that me and a couple of others can access one central place and add enquiries as and when they come it.

It needs to be a minimum of name, phone number, a few key words about what they want, Date of enquiry and make and model and year of vehicle it is for.

I need to be able to fill it in in the office, on the yard, on the gritter, or in the workshop.

Any suggestions / help/ advice or personal experiences welcomed.
Thanks

ATB
Locoboy

BenB

posted on 23/7/15 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Is it not possible via Office365 or GoogleDocs?
locoboy

posted on 23/7/15 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know, I know what I want but don't know if something is already commercially available or not.

I see it working like this
Answer phone
Don't have the part for the customer
Open app on phone/device
App auto date stamps it.
I fill in Name, Contact details, key words of the parts the customer wants and the make and model of the vehicle (maybe on a drop down menu to avoid an spelling errors or inconsistencies to make searching more fool proof later)

Then I click submit etc and it saves it 'somewhere'!

Then when I next get an austin Maxi or what ever in for breaking I can search all enquiries that have the make = Austin and model = Maxi to bring up all the folks that were after bits and call them all back.

This will hopefully save me time listing on ebay and the associated ebay/paypal fees as I can sell it direct to the guy who enquired about it.

Cheers
Col

ATB
Locoboy

Slimy38

posted on 23/7/15 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with Office365, Microsofts standard hosting is plenty for a single document to be shared on all locations. I personally use OneNote to track my car mileage on my phone, then it's instantly available on my laptop when I make my expense claim.

All it needed was an email address.

r1_pete

posted on 23/7/15 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
MySQL - freeware relational database, access it wireless from you cabs etc. from any browser.

Loads of online help, forums, and the like, and easy to learn.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 23/7/15 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^ Is that even English??

ATB
Locoboy

Slimy38

posted on 23/7/15 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoboy
^^^^^^ Is that even English??

I'm starting to get an idea of the level you're aiming at...

Kdempsie

posted on 23/7/15 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Microsoft OneNote would do this for you.
02GF74

posted on 23/7/15 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
For 1 user, yahoo mail?

Write info, save as draft, then move to folder.

Yahoo mail can search.

Actually for more users, crrate new mail account and share it.

ste

posted on 23/7/15 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
have a look at zoho's software.

https://www.zoho.com/creator/

I used their invoice software and it is web based, so is ideal for on your mobile, tablet, pc etc

That should be free for a single use

Hodor

posted on 23/7/15 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
How about a forum type repository for all your info? Each enquiry could be a new thread. All searchable, cloud based (like this forum is), easy to set up and free from here

One draw back is not being able to view all the data in one view, like you can with a spreadsheet, but access wise from a phone or tablet whilst out and about its probably way easier. Looking at data on spreadsheets on a phone or tablet is a shitty affair and best avoided.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.