Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Educate me about flat-ish roof coverings
DIY Si

posted on 28/7/15 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Educate me about flat-ish roof coverings

Evening all. I've not long completed on a Victorian red brick cottage that is need of some work. One of the things I will be doing is making the old tiny kitchen, rear lobby and brick built outbuilding/outhouse into one open plan kitchen diner. As such, the current flat roof over the lobby and bathroom is going to be replaced. Partly becuase it's old and partly because the lobby is covered by old poly-carb type panels and the ivy has come inside. The new roof is going to be about 2.5m x 3.5m, ish.

Once the roof is off, what options are available for replacements? I'd rather not have the old board and felt roof back on, and what ever is it needs to be readily accepting of roof lights. I'd like something different, and I know that usually means more money, but I have no idea how much something like a sedum (sp?) roof covering would be to install. Likewise, I wouldn't object to either a copper or zinc roof, a la Grand Designs, but I'm aware these are likely to be many shiny pennies!!

So what options are there? What am I overlooking, or know nothing about?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

twybrow

posted on 28/7/15 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I would be looking at a fibreglass roof. You cab DIY or get a pro in. They are very robust and would far outlive a felt equivalent for similar money. If done well, you can expect 30 years useful life....
JacksAvon

posted on 28/7/15 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
PDM roofing?

It is a rubberised sheet, looks to be very good

daviep

posted on 28/7/15 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
As above EPDM is reasonably easy to DIY. I've got it on a flat roof and was a bit nervous about doing cut outs for extractor fan exhausts but turned out to be very simple.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Rosco86

posted on 28/7/15 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
GRP all day long, can be made to look like lead by using the simulated mouldings, easy to diy and for the materials is probably cheaper than felt

My Build Thread

tegwin

posted on 28/7/15 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I would be laying thick foam and then OBD board and finally covering with EPDM.

I re did my garage roof with EPDM 5 years ago and it still looks as good as it did when I installed it. Even with the local kids playing on it occasionally its holding up well. The edge fittings to seal it and finish it cosmetically look really nice and it was low mess and easy to fit.

Very highly recommended from me for value for money and finish. Definitely investigate "hot roofing decks"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

van cleef

posted on 28/7/15 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I used to be a roofer

I used to fit Firestone EPDM which a reasonably good product, with a 20 year guarantee with an installation by a trained fitter.

If money isn't an issue I would go with sarnifil which in my eyes is the best product out there which can come with lead like rolls and folds to look similar to lead. Rhepnol is a similar product to sarnifil but is a lot cheaper.

I personally find GRP quite crap....which I've seen separating from the timber deck quite a few times and going brittle after time, which isn't good if your wanting access across it.

cliftyhanger

posted on 28/7/15 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Did my garage 2 years ago with GRP.
I had help, but in a 12 hr day we fitted all the OSB (3) boards, fitted the premade GRP trims and did teh actual GRP. That was a 30m roof, never done GRP like that before. Total cost then was £600 plus the OSB.
At the time I had quotes on a trade basis of £1200 to felt the roof, the guy reckoned materials would be £600. (bear in mind this is Brighton prices, so expensive with the rest of the UK except London)
The GRP is tough, and appears to be durable. You will not get it as smooth as the pictures show, I understand they sand the GRP down for those before the topcoat. However, if you want a fine finish, you could use a coat of coarse matting, and a fine one on top.

DIY Si

posted on 29/7/15 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure why, but I don't like the sound of the GRP covering, as I might need access to the top of the roof from time to time and I'd worry about it cracking.

The EDPM sheets sound like a much more practical version though, especially if there's versions that look like lead, as that would suit the age of the house very well. Thanks all, I shall go and get my Google on!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

twybrow

posted on 29/7/15 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Why would you worry about grp cracking if you walk on it? Think of a large grp yacht, the loads and uv exposure on that in rough seas will be far higher than you walking on a roof, and the grp would last 30-50 years if it was well made to start with. But each to their own!
DIY Si

posted on 29/7/15 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect it's more to do with my ability to get it right first time more than anything!!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.