Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: alternatives to a flat roof...
smart51

posted on 28/8/15 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
alternatives to a flat roof...

... That are not a pitched roof. We may be taking on a project house that needs the flat roof replacing from the joists to the parapet wall. The house is a semi an would look strange if we build a traditional pitched roof on our side only. Since we're doing the entire thing, we can do anything. I don't really want felt that will need to be done again before long. What other options are there that will only need doing once?

The roof is about 8m by 8m

[Edited on 28-8-2015 by smart51]

r1_pete

posted on 28/8/15 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
There are Butyl and EPDM rubber systems available, I've seen guarantees of 20 years, and 40 year life expectancy, it is generally fitted in one piece so no seams to deteriorate.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 28/8/15 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
So you mean alternative coverings to a flat roof. as its either flat or pitched. There is nothing else...., until forcefields are invented.

As above, Sarnafil or Trocal are the big name brands of single ply membranes.

[Edited on 28-8-15 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

smart51

posted on 28/8/15 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Not so much alternative flat roof coverings to felt, as alternatives to a flat roof or a conventionally pitched tiled roof. Is there any value in a roof with a very shallow pitch or is it just a flat roof with a bit of a slope? If a standing seam metal roof, for example, is as durable on a flat roof as with a gentle slope, we may as well make it flat.
Volvorsport

posted on 28/8/15 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Fibreglass....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Rosco86

posted on 28/8/15 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=199457

From a few weeks ago

[Edited on 28/8/15 by Rosco86]

My Build Thread

rm0rgan

posted on 28/8/15 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have both a Fibreglass dorma roof and a really big (95 sq metres) EPDM roof (too big for fibreglass).

Both have 25 year warranties and the EPDM is designed to last 50 years. - EPDM is cheaper than fibreglass and if the bloke who did the fibreglass roof did EPDM when we had it put down I'd have gone EPDM for both. In terms of performance, both are clearly waterproof but the fibreglass roof creaks when really cold whereas the EPDM one doesn't.

Some good installers out there but check references of their work and get a few quotes as prices can vary significantly.

Sigs are uncool.

RoyM

posted on 29/8/15 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for EPDM - put it on my balcony a couple f years ago. Easy to install yourself and realy tough. All problems solved. If you're ordering get some extra - rubber vsheet has loads of uses in the car!!
smart51

posted on 29/8/15 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
So lots of support for leaving it as a flat roof rather than putting a shallow pitched roof on there. I do quite like the idea of EPDM. Partly because it will be a single sheet with no joins. does it outlast a standing seam metal roof?
JC

posted on 29/8/15 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to recall that the shallowest pitch should be about 5 degrees. You could always have one of these trendy modern looks where the walls are quite thick, and higher than the sloping roof. I know, a picture would help...!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.