Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SJ4000 action cam
Adamirish

posted on 16/9/15 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
SJ4000 action cam

Hi
After hearing rave reviews on here and across the interwebs I bought one. Having had a little play with it, I am not impressed at all. I'm guessing I must be doing something wrong but what?

Let me explain. I set it to record so I do maybe a ten second video, watch it back on the cam and it's fine, upload it to either my laptop(which is ancient and I believe was used by Noah!) or my iPad Air and it is very "blocky" and unwatchable. The sound is passable. I have tried it in 1080, 720 60fps, 720 30fps and wvgs. All are the same.

Battery is charged, I am using a Samsung 32gb class 10 card and have tried another card as well to rule that out.

Maybe my laptop is just too crap to cope?

Is there anyone who has had the same issue or can tell me what I am doing wrong? Any explanation will need to be an idiots guide as me and computers don't see eye to eye!

Thanks in advance

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

loggyboy

posted on 16/9/15 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Where did you buy it? Is it cheap knock off version?

Mistral Motorsport

Adamirish

posted on 16/9/15 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Where did you buy it? Is it cheap knock off version?

It came from eBay, as far as I can tell it is a proper one. I found a guide on the net which shows all the differences in the fake ones, mine has everything a real one should and shouldn't have.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

SteveRST

posted on 16/9/15 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Upload some of the raw 1080p footage so we can see. Dropbox or similar. Youtube OK but original raw video file better.

Adamirish

posted on 16/9/15 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote

Hopefully this is the video, excuse the mess, no I haven't been burgled!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

dave_424

posted on 16/9/15 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah it does look pretty terrible. You can see clearly that the frame rate of the video is very low, making it stutter.

Does is stutter when watched on the camera? if not then it might be something to do with you transferring the files from the camera to your laptop.

One thing that helped me in the past with dodgy recordings (corrupt files not actual video quality issues) was to format the card using the menu on the camera, this insures that it's formatted to the correct type and set up with the correct documents.

Post a link to the eBay advert you brought it from

twybrow

posted on 16/9/15 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
What memory card are you using? You need a very fast card to work with GoPros etc, as they create so much data that the write speed of the card can limit the ability of function of a camera. For reference, I tend to use SanDisk extreme pro SD cards in my cameras - an inferior card gave me a lot of issues with video quality.
Adamirish

posted on 16/9/15 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave_424
Yeah it does look pretty terrible. You can see clearly that the frame rate of the video is very low, making it stutter.

Does is stutter when watched on the camera? if not then it might be something to do with you transferring the files from the camera to your laptop.

One thing that helped me in the past with dodgy recordings (corrupt files not actual video quality issues) was to format the card using the menu on the camera, this insures that it's formatted to the correct type and set up with the correct documents.

Post a link to the eBay advert you brought it from

Here is the link to the ad Genuine SJCAM SJ4000 12MP HD 1080P Sports DV Action Waterproof Camera Original

If I watch it on the camera it's fine, no stuttering at all. I have formatted the card in the camera, before that particular video actually.

Maybe the camera is just a dodgy one, I don't know. I was hoping it would be plug and play so to speak.

A local man too, I am literally 10 miles away from you.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Adamirish

posted on 16/9/15 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
What memory card are you using? You need a very fast card to work with GoPros etc, as they create so much data that the write speed of the card can limit the ability of function of a camera. For reference, I tend to use SanDisk extreme pro SD cards in my cameras - an inferior card gave me a lot of issues with video quality.

I am using a Samsung evo 32gb card, it says on the packet it's class 10 whatever that means and supposedly ideal for this kind of thing or maybe I am talking rubbish. I did try a different card from my old phone and it was exactly the same. That card would be a few years old though.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

dave_424

posted on 16/9/15 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Like you say, it does look like its a genuine one. Have you tried getting the video off using both methods? using the USB cable and using a card reader (with adapter)

Nice to see someone local, I have a lathe and DC TIG welder if you need anything special done

Adamirish

posted on 16/9/15 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
This is the card if it helps

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Adamirish

posted on 16/9/15 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave_424
Like you say, it does look like its a genuine one. Have you tried getting the video off using both methods? using the USB cable and using a card reader (with adapter)

Nice to see someone local, I have a lathe and DC TIG welder if you need anything special done

On the laptop I used the supplied usb cable and had no issues getting them onto laptop. On the iPad I have a card reader that plugs into the lightening socket, again, I had no trouble getting them on.

Yes it's good to know there are other kit car-ists in the area, in the time I have had mine, I have only seen one green Westfield around once. Last year 5 or 6 pulled up opposite my house and made a real racket when they left, I then had to have one.

That's great to know, thankyou for the kind offer!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

40inches

posted on 17/9/15 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Have you tried it outside in daylight?
Benzine

posted on 17/9/15 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
That doesn't look right at all. Here's a quick test I did when I got mine:

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveRST

posted on 17/9/15 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, that does look terrible.

You say it plays fine on the camera - this points to an issue with how the files are being imported to the computer. However, that assumption could be false - it's possible that the SJCAM saves a low resolution video for playback on the camera, and that it is the high resolution version that is being corrupted. (GoPros save a low resolution copy of all videos for playback over the GoPro app).

When you plug the camera in to the computer, are you able to view a list of its contents - just like you would any folder on your computer?
You don't want any software interfering and offering to import the videos, or convert them. Just select an MP4 video file from the camera memory card and copy it to your computer.

The file you uploaded to Photobucket was low resolution - but I guess Photobucket has re-encoded it and reduced the resolution. That's why best to upload to Dropbox or Google Drive so we can see the actual original file without it having been messed with.

Adamirish

posted on 17/9/15 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies and help, I really couldn't have asked for any more.

I had a bit of a play when I got home from work, I formatted the card and reset it back to factory settings, not that I changed much and it seems to have done the trick.
I just need to rig up a roll bar mount, stick it on the car and give it a whirl!

Thanks again guys

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

SteveRST

posted on 17/9/15 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
That looks much better.
The Photobucket video is still low resolution and highly compressed but that's Photbucket reducing the quality I guess.

Try 1080p @ 30 fps and upload a bit to youtube.

Adamirish

posted on 17/9/15 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRST
That looks much better.
The Photobucket video is still low resolution and highly compressed but that's Photbucket reducing the quality I guess.

Try 1080p @ 30 fps and upload a bit to youtube.

Cheers mate, I will give it a whirl

Much better!
https://youtu.be/gunIk168Wwg

[Edited on 17/9/15 by Adamirish]

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Ben_Copeland

posted on 17/9/15 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
For the price of these mounts I wouldn't bother trying to make something.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/221826479592

Just check the dimensions are ok before buying.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Adamirish

posted on 19/9/15 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the help, after a quick blat it is working fine. Need to do something about the wind noise though.

quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
For the price of these mounts I wouldn't bother trying to make something.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/221826479592

Just check the dimensions are ok before buying.

Thanks for the heads up, one of those came with my camera and is way too small. I made a mk1 mount from an exhaust clamp and a piece of scrap ali I had in the garage so was effectively free. MK2 will be prettier!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.