Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nearly gassed on a cross-channel ferry...
pewe

posted on 25/9/15 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly gassed on a cross-channel ferry...

Due to all the none-sense at Calais we opted to return from hols yesterday via DFDS Dieppe/Newhaven.
Crossing was OK, if a bit long, however.....
Our car along with about 30 others (say 50-60 people) were on the internal top deck right at the pointy end.
Returning to the car as instructed and waiting to disembark a refrigerated lorry directly below us immediately started his engine, presumably to keep his load cool.
Over the next forty or so minutes the deck we were on filled with diesel exhaust.
Although there were two large fans at the front of our deck at no point were they operating.
I found a crew member from one of the passenger lounges but he wasn't particularly interested or bothered.
So the question is - was I right to be concerned about the level of emissions on our deck?
Could it have ended up with 50-60 passengers overcome by exhaust fumes?
Answers please...
If it is deemed to have been hazardous who should I contact to raise concern?
TIA.
Cheers, Pewe10

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 25/9/15 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yes you should raise a concern
MP3C

posted on 25/9/15 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
61 Generally, unloading and subsequent reloading of goods and vehicles can take
up to three hours. During these operations the shacklers and drivers, and others
who may occupy their vehicles on the ferry, are exposed to DEEEs.
62 If the freight and vehicles are on open deck, any emissions will be removed by
natural ventilation. On other decks, during the loading and unloading operations,
the bow and/or stern doors are normally open. This will facilitate natural air
circulation. Where this is not possible, exhaust ventilation may be needed at the
stern end of the deck to extract any polluted air. But it may be of limited value if the
decks are completely full.
63 Alternatively, adequate ventilation may be provided on the vehicle deck by
situating a series of extraction fans along the side. Make-up air can be provided by
a number of appropriately placed air vents and open doors such as those leading
to the passenger accommodation.
64 Furthermore, drivers of container lorries need to be instructed that they must not
start up their engines until all the freight loads are unlashed and they are ready to move.

Thats the HSE guidance. main guide here

Sounds like there should have been somebody observing and if you did raise concerns then action taken. Should inform the HSE, they are usually quite easy to deal with and seems like it was going agains 64 as shown above.

Matt

pewe

posted on 25/9/15 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies - knew someone in the collective would know.
Certainly there were extractor fans but they weren't switched on at any point (unlike any other crossing we've ever made!) and being the highest deck the fumes all collected where we were.
HSE here I come..
Cheers, Pewe10

owelly

posted on 25/9/15 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
You can raise your concerns with the HSE but as far as you're concerned, the word 'nearly' is very relevant.

[Edited on 25/9/15 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 25/9/15 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
The engine your on about was probably the fridge reefer unit that uses a diesel engine to maintain the required temperature. They also have electric hook up for times when its uneconomical. noise, confined space etc

Ive never done any fridge work on a ferry but I would have though the ferry would have lecyy hook up for the fridges???

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

pewe

posted on 25/9/15 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, understand that Owelly but I've travelled on ferries for many years and this was at best bad practise, at worst potentially lethal.
There were a number of old/infirm passengers on that deck and IMO the ship's/captain's duty of care to them was compromised by lack of control by the crew.
Years ago I used to travel on cross Channel ferries where they'd regularly leave harbour with the bow doors open and I always felt it was an accident waiting to happen. Those old enough to remember the name Zeebruge will know what I mean...
We'll see what HSE has to say and I'll post back.
Cheers, Pewe10

Nickp

posted on 25/9/15 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
At least it wasn't a Veedub that fired up
steve m

posted on 25/9/15 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
^^^

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

bi22le

posted on 25/9/15 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
At least it wasn't a Veedub that fired up

Damn, beat me to it! !

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.