Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vulcan
gremlin1234

posted on 10/10/15 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
https://twitter.com/xh558
INITIAL PLANNED DEPARTURE SET AT 1300 (1pm local). Await updates on leg times over each location.

JoelP

posted on 10/10/15 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Is it doing the northern leg today? Could someone update when it takes off please?!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

JoelP

posted on 10/10/15 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Bugger, missed it alread!

AntonUK

posted on 10/10/15 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I popped over to Cosford and got around 3 second sight as is blasted past at low alt. Awesome sound...

Build Photos Here

Toys2

posted on 10/10/15 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AntonUK
I popped over to Cosford and got around 3 second sight as is blasted past at low alt. Awesome sound...

Similar for me though at Carlisle airport, 20 minute drive, 20 minute wait, 5 seconds fly by - well worth it

If anyone is ever visiting the Lake District, you may want to know that there is a static Vulcan at the small museum at Carlisle Airport
It has donated parts to XH558, which is why it tends to get a good share of fly bys

We've been up inside the cockpit....great fun
The air museum has quite a few "greats" ....Vampire, Lightening, Phantom, Hunter, Canberra, it's pretty amazing for such a small set up
http://www.solway-aviation-museum.co.uk/?page_id=105

[Edited on 10/10/15 by Toys2]

Toys2

posted on 10/10/15 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Not my video but it captures it well

[Edited on 10/10/15 by Toys2]

JoelP

posted on 10/10/15 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Managed to get to Barnoldswick to see it. Amazing. Cheers to the guys who posted the twitter feed and the Google map.

Is it doing the southern loop tomorrow or is that it now, all over?

slingshot2000

posted on 10/10/15 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
I saw it over Windermere this afternoon, AWSOME.
And yes, tomorrow it is doing the southern loop.

gregs

posted on 11/10/15 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
I saw it over Windermere this afternoon, AWSOME.
And yes, tomorrow it is doing the southern loop.

Southern loop tomorrow and more promised before the end of the month....

40inches

posted on 11/10/15 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Bit of a damp squid yesterday From what I can gather, East Midland Airport stopped it flying over Derby because a Cesna was in the way. So when it should have been over Derby it had landed at Doncaster. A lot of (100+) people waiting at the turn point at Mosborough.
There is a change to today's flight path, but we will still miss it https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zJoGZd3-Qg5U.kNNj_CTKeaA0

posted on 11/10/15 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Went down to North Weald. Stunning, absolutely stunning.

Nigh on flew over the crowd.

Full marks to the staff at North Weald also, who directed hundreds of cars in to park along the runway…

AND DIDN'T CHARGE A PENNY.

gremlin1234

posted on 11/10/15 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
from their twitter feed
If you wish to receive Vulcan XH558's newsletter, then sign up here: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/newsletter-sign-up.html

also
they hope to be 'out' a couple more times in October ;-)

[Edited on 11/10/15 by gremlin1234]

Lander

posted on 12/10/15 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
I was one of the lucky ones, was tinkering in the garage when I heard it so stepped outside as it flew over the house in Cheltenham. Awesome sight on a Sunday afternoon.
morcus

posted on 12/10/15 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I just missed it, but I certainly heard it over Filton.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

peter030371

posted on 13/10/15 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
I went for lunch at the cafe at Hawkhurst Fishfarm around about the time she would be in the area......10 minutes later she came right overhead
gremlin1234

posted on 28/10/15 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
so they said it wouldn't be its last flight,

sadly they kept the last flight secret...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-34661731

quote:

The XH588 bomber's flight over its base at Doncaster's Robin Hood Airport was kept secret to avoid thousands of spectators turning up.

David Jenkins

posted on 28/10/15 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
The problem was that the thousands of spectators would have disrupted the normal operations of the airport, and the airport owners would have passed the costs on to the Vulcan project. Sounds harsh, but the airport has to make money to exist, and probably couldn't afford to have its normal business affected.

jeffw

posted on 28/10/15 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just one thing.....it's Concorde not Concord. The French won the spelling argument back in the 1960s.

minibull

posted on 29/10/15 at 03:40 AM Reply With Quote
I made parts for the Vulcan,Victor, Canberra (conversion to radar plane) and Jaguar (whilst it was still known as the Tactical Strike Aircraft project) during my apprenticeship as an airframe fitter in the early 70's. I've never seen a complete example of any of them in the flesh ! Still they are basically just bent alloy and I've seen more of that than most people
Lander

posted on 29/10/15 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
If anyone is near Cheltenham or passes by I would recommend taking a visit to the Jet Age Museum at Staverton Airport. It is mostly a celebration of Gloster Aircraft but (the best bit for me) they have the cockpit of a Vulcan that you can go into and have a 10min talk on the operation of the aircraft. There is no charge to go as it is manned by volunteers but they do ask for donations and rightly so.

It isn't big by any means but worth popping in if you are passing particularly with younglings.

Ian

peter030371

posted on 29/10/15 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
The problem was that the thousands of spectators would have disrupted the normal operations of the airport, and the airport owners would have passed the costs on to the Vulcan project. Sounds harsh, but the airport has to make money to exist, and probably couldn't afford to have its normal business affected.

Very sad day yesterday but it had to happen before the end of the month, parts are know longer airworthy and some only had about 15 minutes of allowed flying life left in them so they used ever last bit up in the quick 'jolly' yesterday. Great to hear Martin Withers took her up for the last flight, the first man to fly a Vulcan in combat and now the last man to ever fly one

Lots of people throwing their rattles out of the pram on the interweb/forums which just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth on what was a great achievement. All along the lines of 'you didn't fly over my house' and 'I gave money so I part own her and have a right' etc. If all these armchair warriors are so passionate then they could have volunteered to work for the Trust many years ago and would have been at the final flight yesterday....everyone has a choice. The Trust had strict rules they HAD to work too and its amazing how many people have already forgotten about Shoreham

Whilst I fully understand the choice to keep the flight day/time 'secret' until the last minute (well last 30 minutes) I am completely baffled as to why they think Robin Hood Airport is the best place for her final home!!! Bruntingthorpe is her home and I am gutted she is never to return to the Cold War Jets collection I do not see the new education center at Robin Hood Lasting half as long as XH558 and then what? She will be 'in-the-way' in a few years and left to decay with limited access by any future volunteers due the airports 'live' nature.

sdh2903

posted on 29/10/15 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

Have you seen the operations at DSA? It's like a ghost town for 75% of the time. They probably missed an opportunity to raise the profile of the airport in the process.

As an apprentice at Woodford had the pleasure of working on vulcan XM603 along with the old boy volunteers who came in to tinker for an odd day a week. Was a privelege and learnt a lot during that great time. Being a part of engine running the old girl is one of the highlights of my career in aviation.

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/10/15 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
The comments on the concord post are interesting. One guy says a well informed person told him that one of the reasons concord was retired is that American jets just can't keep up with concord for long enough. After 9/11 it was seen as a serious threat. Never heard that before.

which is totally ridiculous if you anything about what is involved in getting concord to go supersonic, it's a very complex aircraft to manage. Besides I'd like to see concord out run a missile!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.