Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New work bench built - happy chap
nick205

posted on 26/4/16 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I'd be tempted to add some diagonals to the legs to help steady them (just in case) and it can't hurt.

Interestingly I had the same thought, but would have to buy some more 4" x 2" timber to do so - no great shakes to do that so I may well do to add some more strength.

ETA...although I do have some steel box and flat which I could make some braces from. My time and free materials could be done.

[Edited on 26/4/16 by nick205]

Fred W B

posted on 27/4/16 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
If its bolted to the wall the only thing that would need to be braced is the front legs. I would put some crossmembers from them to the rear legs and add a shelf under the bench.

You can just about see mine here

[Edited on 27/4/16 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

nick205

posted on 29/4/16 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
OK - day off yesterday and I cut and added some 4" x 2" diagonal braces to the front legs as suggested. It doesn't seem to have stiffened what was already very stiff, but it does make me feel a little more confident in terms of durability. Our sheet metalworkers have also offered me a sheet of Zintex galvanised steel 1.5mm thick and 580mm x 2,000mm to "metalise" the top surface. I'm tempted to do this and make it suitable for MIG welding on as well.

prawnabie

posted on 29/4/16 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Be careful of the fumes if welding on galvanized - the zinc will oxidize in the air and will do your lungs no good at all.

[Edited on 29/4/16 by prawnabie]

nick205

posted on 29/4/16 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
Be careful of the fumes if welding on galvanized - the zinc will oxidize in the air and will do your lungs no good at all.

[Edited on 29/4/16 by prawnabie]

Noted thank you!

The reason for going Zintec is our metal worker has it on their shelf and being galvanised it should help resist rust forming over time. Maybe I should ask about ordinary mild steel, which I think he has to hand and would still make a good earth plane for welding on.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.