Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are bearing codes universal?
jps

posted on 10/7/16 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Are bearing codes universal?

Not car related, I'm in the middle of rebuilding my mountain bike rear hub which has 'cartridge' bearings. Unfortunately I can't buy direct from the hub manufacturer and the local bike shops are providing poor service, so I'm trying to get the right bits direct from a bearing supplier.

They're marked up on the dust covers as 6001 and 6002 (they are two different sizes), are these codes universal - I.e. can I just source some 6001/6002 bearings elsewhere and safely assume they'll be the same dimensions?

Slimy38

posted on 10/7/16 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know about the codes, but I did think it was fairly simple to take the relevant measurements (or even the bearing itself) to a bearing supplier and get a suitable replacement?
owelly

posted on 10/7/16 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yup. Those sizes are standard. Check for any other letters too as they denote any sheilding.
I use simplybearings and bearingbrothers.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 10/7/16 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
IMH(old) O Yes, but with variations

Ie a 6001 will alwaysbe 12mm ID 28mm OD but you may get different specs for dust oil sealing etc

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

jps

posted on 10/7/16 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Yup. Those sizes are standard. Check for any other letters too as they denote any sheilding.
I use simplybearings and bearingbrothers.

Cheers guys, armed with the info re: the letters I found this which was enlightening also!

http://www.engineerstudent.co.uk/bearing_numbers_explained.html

hizzi

posted on 10/7/16 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
i take any bearings into my local bearing services they generally offer a better replacement, the last ones i got were a set of four for a german made trailer they produced four bearings no problem then said you would be better with this other set but they are expensive a £16 a set of four! guess his expensive and mine are way different
jps

posted on 10/7/16 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've gone with the tip of SimplyBearings and, because I spent summer holidays factory in Barnsley packaging them up many years ago, bought some Koyo ones! Hope they prove to be decent quality :-)
02GF74

posted on 10/7/16 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
with rubber sealed bearing, it is helpful to remove the dust seal - prise off with tiny jewellers screwdriver - and pack with grease.

also you know that to press them in, you press on the outer race not on the inner. use a suitably size socket or the old bearing race.

coyoteboy

posted on 11/7/16 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
with rubber sealed bearing, it is helpful to remove the dust seal - prise off with tiny jewellers screwdriver - and pack with grease.

also you know that to press them in, you press on the outer race not on the inner. use a suitably size socket or the old bearing race.

This is something I read a lot. I think I know the source. I don't agree. Repacking.sealed bearings risks seal damage and gives you no added protection over the (correct) amount of grease that the manufacturer knows is required for their bearing. If you go river riding, maybe, but not for general use.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.