Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sliding wardrobe doors?
nick205

posted on 5/10/16 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Sliding wardrobe doors?

Morning all,

A question for the forum...

In the steps of planning some upgrades to my daughter's bedroom. One planned change is to convert what is currently a door-less wardrobe space in her room into a wardrobe. Making and fitting shelves, rails etc. is easy enough for me, but the room is 7' x 8' and I think would benefit from a pair of sliding wardrobe doors rather than normal hinged doors. Again, I'm happy installing them, but not sure what to buy.

Can anyone recommend (or un-recommend) a place to get doors from?

The existing timber door frame is 1,080mm wide x 2,005mm high so they may need to be made to measure.

With a new bed (and two other kids) etc. to buy I'm on a budget so low cost (DIY) works for me

Thanks,
Nick

40inches

posted on 5/10/16 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
A good starting point? CONTEMPORARY MADE TO MEASURE FITTED SLIDING MIRROR WARDROBE DOORS & TRACK SET
benchmark51

posted on 5/10/16 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
That's a shame. I have 2, approx 29 inches wide by 90 inches high. Free!
Would be ok if your good with a glass cutter.

Problem is I'm in Bristol.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 5/10/16 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Check out Howdens if there's a depot near to you. Unsure if they deal with public or just trade, but they do a variety of doors.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

loggyboy

posted on 5/10/16 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
I designed made my own a few months back as I wanted a fairly bespoke set up (I wanted 3 doors on 3 tracks to get max opening possible.
I bought these tracks and runners direct from the supplier http://www.bimak.co.uk/mini
Cost me about £60 for the above, but that was enough to two 1800mm wide wardrobes, each with 3 tracks.
I bought Ikea Pax doors but from the hinged range which were between £15 and £35 each (colour and style pendent).
I used an mdf skirting as the base and framing.

Including extras such as timber packers for top frame, screws etc Id say the 2 wardrobes cost me £300 but with no internal framework. More than I wanted to spend but got me exactly what I wanted.

WardrobeStart
WardrobeStart
LeftFrame
LeftFrame
FrameFinished
FrameFinished
Wardrobe4
Wardrobe4

I also added some LED lighting to snaz it up!

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 5/10/16 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benchmark51
That's a shame. I have 2, approx 29 inches wide by 90 inches high. Free!
Would be ok if your good with a glass cutter.

Problem is I'm in Bristol.

Tempting, but for an 8 year old the finger marks and general grime are not a place to go with glass - that and I can't cut it either!

nick205

posted on 5/10/16 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
Check out Howdens if there's a depot near to you. Unsure if they deal with public or just trade, but they do a variety of doors.

There's a Howdens in Winchester (home) and Basingstoke (work) - I bought my kitchen from the Winchester branch some time ago. I think they're trade only, but I do know a builder with a trade account who's happy to let me buy through it. I'll take a look!

nick205

posted on 5/10/16 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
I designed made my own a few months back as I wanted a fairly bespoke set up (I wanted 3 doors on 3 tracks to get max opening possible.
I bought these tracks and runners direct from the supplier http://www.bimak.co.uk/mini
Cost me about £60 for the above, but that was enough to two 1800mm wide wardrobes, each with 3 tracks.
I bought Ikea Pax doors but from the hinged range which were between £15 and £35 each (colour and style pendent).
I used an mdf skirting as the base and framing.

Including extras such as timber packers for top frame, screws etc Id say the 2 wardrobes cost me £300 but with no internal framework. More than I wanted to spend but got me exactly what I wanted.

WardrobeStart
WardrobeStart
LeftFrame
LeftFrame
FrameFinished
FrameFinished
Wardrobe4
Wardrobe4

I also added some LED lighting to snaz it up!

Nice work and a good use of space too - pretty much what I'm trying to achieve for the daughter.

ste

posted on 5/10/16 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just about to start on my spare room and have found homebase to have a decent range. doors from £66 each and runners from £30 make it cheap and they get great reviews too.

the top can be spaced down with timber and painted if your room is tall.

geoff shep

posted on 6/10/16 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
He's already said what size his doorframe is, and most of those homebase/B&Q sliders are too tall - unless he can expand the opening vertically. The PAX idea looks like a good solution, and nicely done.

The problem I found, as did loggyboy, is that sliding doors never give you full access to the inside - there is always a door in the way, although 3 doors is better than 2 as he says, but then 3 door thicknesses take up space.

I boxed in an alcove and this time used bifold folding doors. You need some space in the room, although that is only half a door's width, but you get great access to the wardrobe. A pair of these ones from B&Q would fit your doorframe almost exactly. They are a bit of a fiddle to fit and adjust but look good: http://www.diy.com/departments/4-panel-primed-woodgrain-effect-internal-bi-fold-door-h1950mm-w595mm/42515_BQ.prd

nick205

posted on 7/10/16 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by geoff shep
He's already said what size his doorframe is, and most of those homebase/B&Q sliders are too tall - unless he can expand the opening vertically. The PAX idea looks like a good solution, and nicely done.

The problem I found, as did loggyboy, is that sliding doors never give you full access to the inside - there is always a door in the way, although 3 doors is better than 2 as he says, but then 3 door thicknesses take up space.

I boxed in an alcove and this time used bifold folding doors. You need some space in the room, although that is only half a door's width, but you get great access to the wardrobe. A pair of these ones from B&Q would fit your doorframe almost exactly. They are a bit of a fiddle to fit and adjust but look good: http://www.diy.com/departments/4-panel-primed-woodgrain-effect-internal-bi-fold-door-h1950mm-w595mm/42515_BQ.prd

We have considered bi-fold doors, but really trying to maximise her floor space so sliding doors seem the best solution. Sliding doors would allow her new adult sized single bed to go fairly close without interfering with the doors opening.

There is the consideration that with a pair of sliding doors you can only have half open at any one time, but this in itself "may" encourage her to be a little more tidy . A behaviour we're trying to instill/encourage in her.

ETA...the door frame is already there and whilst it could be altered in size I'm looking for the least amount of destruction (cost) possible to complete the job.

[Edited on 7/10/16 by nick205]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.