Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Strong VESA mounts
nick205

posted on 21/10/16 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Strong VESA mounts

Morning all,

One of the things we manufacture at work are medical trolleys. Usually these need to be fitted with tablet type devices. Currently we purchase friction held VESA mounts as the trolley users may be different heights. However the friction element fails over time and users complain that the tablet starts to droop.

Question - can anyone recommend a mount that is strong perhaps with preset angles?

Budget is £40-50 per bracket and we're OK buying outside the UK too.

Thanks,
Nick

r1_pete

posted on 21/10/16 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Couldn't you come up with a mod for the mount which used a hand wheel to tighten the mount in a given position?

The way such things get treated a friction mount is bound to fail over time, downside of a hand wheel is some gorilla over tightening it I guess....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 21/10/16 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks.

We've looked at various mods to what we've used (and seen), but with "infection control" in mind such mods are frowned upon by the NHS trusts. We're currently prototyping our own design of mount, but to tool it would be expensive even if it works. The overriding feeling I have is that there must be something out there already, but we can't seem to find it!

HowardB

posted on 21/10/16 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Nick,
Nylacast have supplied a range of components into the medical industry. these items are machined so low volume can be very cost effective. let me know if I can help.

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

nick205

posted on 21/10/16 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
Nick,
Nylacast have supplied a range of components into the medical industry. these items are machined so low volume can be very cost effective. let me know if I can help.

Hi Howard,

Sounds interesting - I've dropped you a U2U.

Thanks,
Nick

r1_pete

posted on 21/10/16 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
How about something along the lines of those springy woodpecker toys U Tube Link

Just use the pole and block, the weight of the tablet would 'cockle' the block and hold it in any position, quite easy to prototype and test too....

P.S. Yep I'm bored on a lousy conf call

[Edited on 21/10/16 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 21/10/16 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
I know the pain of a conference call - 2 hours yesterday with our phone on mute so the other end didn't hear us groaning (snoring).

I've seen the woodpecker toy before and it is a nifty (simple) thing. Unfortunately for our purposes the tablet height is fixed, but we need the angle to be adjustable to cater for different height users wanting to adjust the viewing angle of it.

loggyboy

posted on 21/10/16 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Any pictures for reference?

Mistral Motorsport

gttztt

posted on 22/10/16 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Nick. Have a look at Ergomounts - just up the road in Aldershot. They do a wide range of mounts and are the manufacturers too.
nick205

posted on 24/10/16 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gttztt
Nick. Have a look at Ergomounts - just up the road in Aldershot. They do a wide range of mounts and are the manufacturers too.

Funnily enough I've known Ergomounts for some time. The issue we face is cost - we must have a low cost solution to avoid impacting our product sale prices.

nick205

posted on 24/10/16 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Any pictures for reference?

This is the type of fitting we've used. The issue is you can tighten the joint to get the friction right, but use brings it loose and users find the tablet starts to droop.

VESA mount
VESA mount

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.