Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Polyurethane Mastic Remover
Mr Whippy

posted on 6/12/16 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Polyurethane Mastic Remover

Hi,

Due to a leak I've had to pull off the awing trim from our caravan. A bit of a battle as most of it was still soft and I now have long aluminium rails covered in the stuff. So far nothing is working to get this muck off the metal and it's kind of driving me nuts...

Tried - white sprit, paint stripper, paint remover, meths, blow torch!, chisel, screw drivers etc

After about 4 hours I have got about 1 ft slightly cleaner , only about 15ft to go!

Short of buying another rail (don't even want to know how much that would be) I'm a bit stuck and it's winter and no doubt going to rain soon so I'd like it sorted and the ducktape of the van asap

Any idea's??????????????

Thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 6/12/16 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
It is pretty resistant to most stuff.
Could try acetone, but suspect that may not work either.

Sharp blade (razor blades are good, or snap-blade knife) or wire brush in a grinder (that maybe a bit dangerous in this instance)

But if you get most off with a blade, just a fresh bead of PU and stick the rail back.

bonzoronnie

posted on 6/12/16 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Once cured, I don't think Sikaflex adhesives have a solvent.

On my boats I use a very sharp blade to cut it off.
Stanley Fat Max blades are real sharp
Then remove the tiny traces with Acetone.

A linky for inspiration

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1378065

[Edited on 6/12/16 by bonzoronnie]

steve m

posted on 6/12/16 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have used a rubber (eraser to our US citizens ) to get mastic off, but it does need to be cut with a Stanley blade first, or it pulls the lot off, in one messy lump

using a rubber is tedious though, and not sure if it would work on an awning rail

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

luke2152

posted on 6/12/16 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Use the blow torch again and then brillo pads while its still melted. You will need lots of brillo pads

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.