Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wiring a 3-Gang switch (domestic wiring).
John P

posted on 23/2/17 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Wiring a 3-Gang switch (domestic wiring).

I need to alter the existing wiring in our lounge as at the moment there is a switched central light plus two wall lights but these aren’t switched at all since the old wall lights had inbuilt pull cords.

I am going to replace the existing 1-gang light switch with a 3-gang version but am unsure how best to wire this.

I could run three separate cables to the switch, effectively wiring three completely separate switches, but this would mean there would be three lives, three switched returns and three earths to accommodate in the switch back box.

Alternatively I suppose I could run a single supply to the switch and loop this to each of the three gangs. Then I would still need three cores for the switched returns plus an earth meaning I would need some 4-core plus earth cable but there would be just 5 cores in all to accommodate in the back box rather than 9 if I use separate twin and earth cables.

What’s the correct way of achieving this?

John.

johnemms

posted on 23/2/17 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ive used this type in the house .. Also use a remote in the bedroom ..
Hall stairs n landing was a breeze with a common digital 2 way conection between upstairs downstairs.. .. eBay Item

The 2 way has a special (2 way) common connector which allows each switch to talk to each other ..something like that

[Edited on 23/2/17 by johnemms]

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

daniel mason

posted on 23/2/17 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
What do you mean by live returns? Are you referring to neutrals?
You first need to make sure there's a neutral at the switch position as if you wire 2 wall lights from the switch they won't work without a neutral

John P

posted on 23/2/17 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
By a live return I mean using the blue core of the twin & earth cable (sleeved brown) to take the switched live from the switch back to a junction box or similar from where the switched live plus a neutral and earth would go to the wall light. Hope that makes sense.
daniel mason

posted on 23/2/17 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure I follow?
You only need 4 cores.so run 2x 1.0mm twin and earth's
1 will have a permanent live plus a switched live
1 will have 2x switched lives
The earths will terminate to the back box

John P

posted on 23/2/17 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
That's sounds fine and minimizes the number of cables in the back box but is using a twin & earth as two switched lives OK. Can't see any reason why not, I guess I just hadn't considered it.

John.

Slimy38

posted on 24/2/17 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John P
That's sounds fine and minimizes the number of cables in the back box but is using a twin & earth as two switched lives OK. Can't see any reason why not, I guess I just hadn't considered it.

John.

Just get some appropriately coloured sleeving for the end of the wires, just so you (or a subsequent owner of the house) know in the future.

stevebubs

posted on 24/2/17 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John P

John.

Yep - should be fine. Just need to sleeve the black to have a red 'collar' at each end to denote it's a live cable.

If you look at your normal lights, you should see a 4 way junction block or similar which has earth, neutral and permanent live. There is then T&E that goes off from the permanent live to your light switch and back to the 4th terminal to give the switched live...

SteveWalker

posted on 24/2/17 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
If you are going to go the two twin-and-earth route, you could just buy the proper cable that comes supplied with two brown cores. Alternatively, a slightly unusual option, but not forbidden by the regs as far as I can tell, would be 5-core YY cable.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.