Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: House Electrics Question
myke pocock

posted on 21/6/17 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
House Electrics Question

Had a bathroom extension built and I asked for an unswitched fused spur to be fitted so I could locate the tumble drier in the bathroom. Subsequently decided not to locate the drier in the bathroom but the lecky fitted an unswitched three pin socket run from the original electric shower feed (not used now) which has of course a switch but is mounted outside the bathroom. He did change the breaker in the consumer unit to the correct rating for the socket. I always though it was not within the regs to fit a three pin socket in a bathroom or am I out of date with this now?
owelly

posted on 22/6/17 at 01:46 AM Reply With Quote
"The 17th Edition introduced another important change: Regulation 701.512.3 permits 230 V socket outlets to be installed in a room containing a bath or shower, providing they are installed 3m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1"

http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/53/section-701/index.cfm

[Edited on 22/6/17 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
myke pocock

posted on 22/6/17 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
If I take Zone 1 to be the shower basin then my installation certainly breaks the 3 metre horizontal rule by miles as its only around a metre!!!
tegwin

posted on 22/6/17 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like your electrician bent the rules a little to give you exactly what you asked for. I say give the man a medal!

[Edited on 22/6/17 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

nick205

posted on 22/6/17 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
If the socket isn't needed then remove it. Get a small bit of plasterboard to fill the hole - job done. Done this with disused sockets and light switches several times and once filled and painted (or tiled) you'd never know.
big-vee-twin

posted on 22/6/17 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Just fit an RCBO in the consumer unit.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.