Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Conservatory door hinge adjustment
02GF74

posted on 25/8/18 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Conservatory door hinge adjustment

My friends conservatory door has dropped. The hinge mechanism is below.

The type I'm familiar with can be adjusted for height with a 6mm Allen key but this is different.

I've managed to lif the pin thinking it is a cover but I think it is the pin holding the hinge together...

Can this hinge be adjusted for height, if so, how.

snapper

posted on 25/8/18 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like you loosen the Philips screws and lever up

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

02GF74

posted on 25/8/18 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, tried that already, those screws move the hinge left-right.

Cannot dismiss the fact that no adjustment is possible in which case how to raise the door.

David Jenkins

posted on 25/8/18 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Could it be a case of: remove the pivot pin, fit shims, refit pin? By shims, I mean washers of assorted thicknesses.

40inches

posted on 25/8/18 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't look as though there is any way to adjust the height, without lifting the whole hinge?
Slimy38

posted on 25/8/18 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Our back door has the same hinge, and started catching. What I did was use those left-right philips screws so that the bottom came out and the top came in, thereby lifting the far edge up.

You should also find that the hinges screw into the door case (in my case it's another three self tappers), if you loosen those off you should get yourself a couple of millimetres adjustment on the entire door.

fazerruss

posted on 25/8/18 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
The problem it s likely to be nothing to do with the hinge's. The door Will need toe and heeling. Remove glazing beads and fit packers between the glass and frame.

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

chris

posted on 25/8/18 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
as above to toe and heal the door remove glazing beads and fit packers to the bottom of glass thats in the corner bottom and corner side next to bottom hinge and do the same to the opposite corner at the top be care full that glass dosent fall out the easiest way is for two man job while glazing bars removed pull door to almost closed and use crow bar inbitween frame and door to lift at bottom corner opposite hinge whilst in lifted position fit packers in the gaps on the toe and heal corners
nick205

posted on 26/8/18 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fazerruss
The problem it s likely to be nothing to do with the hinge's. The door Will need toe and heeling. Remove glazing beads and fit packers between the glass and frame.

Our conservatory double doors dropped over a few years. After some faffing myself with the same type of hinges I ended up calling the people who built the conservatory who sent a guy out to remove the internal glazing beads and fit new plastic packers between the frame and the glazing unit itself. Took him a few goes, but he got it sorted in under an hour and the charge was £30.00. Problem solved, doors open and close fine and I've now learnt how to do it if/when it happens again.

I believe you can buy kits of the plastic packers from eBay for not much money and the internal glazing beads are easy to remove with a scraper.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.