Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Caribbean suggestions
LBMEFM

posted on 2/9/18 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Caribbean suggestions

I have a nice problem, which Caribbean destination to choose for a holiday next year, up to four weeks.. I have already been to Bahamas and Antigua so what do you think, Jamaica, Cuba, Tobago etc. Dislike package and guided tours, all inclusive hotels and formal dining and prefer street food, live music and local people and their cu!ture. Would also like not like to be murdered.

We are seasoned travellers and been to most areas of Asia, Australasia and the States so any Caribbean experiences very be very welcome. Thanks.

tegwin

posted on 2/9/18 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
how about a liveaboard sailing trip from cariaco north towards port Elizabeth and the BVis. Far better than being trapped in a hotel.

Other option is to fly to Belize, explore the mainland because it’s epic and then head to a few of the islands. All the islands are different from luxury resort to squalid street food.

I spent 6 weeks in Belize with a few hops over the border into Guatemala And really enjoyed it. English is the spoken language and on the whole I felt really safe. Less so in Guatemala!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

big-vee-twin

posted on 2/9/18 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Last year we went to St Lucia, absolutely fantastic, visited the Pitons, hiked through the rainforests beautiful beaches loved it.

This year we went to Cuba stayed 3 days in Havana which is like going back in time with all th old cars, we hired a 1953 Chevrolet bell air soft top and drove around the city. When to La Parisian show in the hotel that used to be run by the mafia all fantastic. This show influenced the Moulen rouge in Paris.

We then went to the beach at Caya Santa maria, best beaches I've seen.

[Edited on 2/9/18 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

jossey

posted on 2/9/18 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Maldives
Puerto rico

Hope that helps.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 3/9/18 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
My old man did the cross-Atlantic yacht race a few years back, and ended up in St. Lucia - rest of the family flew out to meet him and spent 3 weeks there. Lovely place, but after about 100m in from waters' edge, it turns into almost shanty town. Plenty of exploring to be done in the mountains; plantations, farmland, etc.. Most Friday nights they have the local "jump up" (code for street party) with street food, entertainment, which is always good. Didn't feel unsafe at any point, although we were advised to take some pens/pencils and paper to give to some of the local kids to keep them away from you rather than begging! Oh, and some of the locals walking along the beach offering you jazz cabbage/wacky baccy etc. if you're that way inclined, but will pass you by without issue if you're not interested. If you do make it, try the local Ron151 rum!!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

theduck

posted on 3/9/18 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
We have been to Jamaica and Dominican Republic, both are fantastic, but I would say Jamaica would be better for what you want to do for no other reason than I would be more comfortable doing it there, and cant really say why
Angel Acevedo

posted on 3/9/18 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Being from Mexico, I must recommend Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Cancún and Isla Mujeres...

ETA: Due to exchange rate, really cheap for you, and street food rules here in Mexico.

[Edited on 9/3/2018 by Angel Acevedo]

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 3/9/18 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
Being from Mexico, I must recommend Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Cancún and Isla Mujeres...

ETA: Due to exchange rate, really cheap for you, and street food rules here in Mexico.

[Edited on 9/3/2018 by Angel Acevedo]

Playa del Carmen is well worth a visit although it's 25 years since I was there (feel old now!).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.