Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to create a book?
Slater

posted on 18/3/19 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
How to create a book?

Hi, my Dad has written his life story of his Naval Career, it's approx 25,000 words or 45 pages on A4 size paper. It's very interesting, he was a CPO in the Fleet Air Arm from 1961 till 1984. So plenty ships, planes and helicopters.

Is there an easy way of putting this into a nice book? it needs to include quite a few photos and the odd basic map. We would want maybe 10 copies, just to give to family and friends, no intention to sell it at all.

He had a apple photo book done in the past, but apple have dis-continued this service now. Some alternatives like Shutterfly are really just for photo books with captions. I'm looking for a more traditional "book" type, i.e. many words with a few photos.

Any ideas?

[Edited on 18-3-19 by Slater]

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

gremlin1234

posted on 18/3/19 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
there are a few print on demand places on the web
one I found
https://www.bookprintinguk.com/
looks like they can do what you want, (never used them myself though)

for it to realy qualify as a book, it should have an isbn, and 'Legal Deposit' copies to various library's
https://www.bl.uk/legal-deposit

Angel Acevedo

posted on 18/3/19 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Kimini, the book from Kurt Bilinski was printed via Lulu a Print-on-Demand service, don´t know if still is.
You may want to check in out.

Here in Mexico when you graduate from college you have to write a thesis, there are several options, i would think there should be some over there too.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 18/3/19 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Apple now have Motiv app that’s sit’s native in photos.
The best way would be to use Adobe InDesign but it’s not simple.
You could use photobox as it will take both text and photos.
I estimate the cost at £50 per book.
I’m doing a personal project on Kosovo mostly photos with some narrative using the Motiv app, I’ve just done an InDesign course and it by far the best way but not sure how you would get it printed.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

balidey

posted on 18/3/19 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Another avenue to try is, go and visit a local printing company. I've had works brochures made up and they ask questions about paper weight and binding that an online service may not ask you.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 18/3/19 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I’m led to believe amazon will publish a book. Why not publish it and if someone else buys it - game on !
gremlin1234

posted on 18/3/19 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
Another avenue to try is, go and visit a local printing company. I've had works brochures made up and they ask questions about paper weight and binding that an online service may not ask you.

I think most local printers will have a minimum print quantity, - but certainly worth asking.
last time I asked, for a print quote, (A5 landscape, 44 pages, plus covers, stitched paperback, 250 copies £350, and £610 for 500. but that was with print ready pdf. and pickup from them.
the online service I liked to earlier, asks about paper weight, (and allows different paper for colour pages!)
I help at our local museum, and we are a publisher, but what we publish has to be 'local' (either author or subject) and non contentious.

Slater

posted on 18/3/19 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks folks, I checked the bookprintingUK site and that seems perfect, thanks Gremlin1234.

You can choose the book size, paper weight, binding type, cover type, and they can check the formatting, dustcovers etc, I got an on-line quote and its 25 quid per book for 10 off A4 size hardback books with 70 B&W pages and 20 colour pages, so quite reasonable I think. They can even design artwork for the cover if you want. They will send you 1 copy to proof read before printing the rest. It's turning into quite an interesting project.....

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

gremlin1234

posted on 18/3/19 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
Thanks folks, I checked the bookprintingUK site and that seems perfect, thanks Gremlin1234.

You can choose the book size, paper weight, binding type, cover type, and they can check the formatting, dustcovers etc, I got an on-line quote and its 25 quid per book for 10 off A4 size hardback books with 70 B&W pages and 20 colour pages, so quite reasonable I think. They can even design artwork for the cover if you want. They will send you 1 copy to proof read before printing the rest. It's turning into quite an interesting project.....

sounds good,
but certainly for 'run of the mill' stuff, ask the local companies, else they wont survive

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.