Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Calling All Gamers...
BigDawgV8

posted on 30/12/20 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Calling All Gamers...

Hi All,

It’s been a while since I was last involved in ‘computer’ gaming....so please be patient!

I have an old PlayStation PSP and really liked it but is there now a modern equivalent?
I know there was the PlayStation Vita but I can’t play GTA on there unless anyone know different?!

GTA 5/6 is the only reason I am asking, I don’t want to start buying loads of other games.

I don’t have a console and can’t justify the cost just for a bit of casual gaming.

I have an IPad but can’t seem to download any of the ‘free’ apps available on-line....

I would really appreciate some input from people with more up-to-date knowledge in this area.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for the help and advice.

obfripper

posted on 30/12/20 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
The Vita is pretty much end of line now as it wasn't powerful enough to run ps3 direct port games and didn't sell enough to warrant games being rewritten to run, still useful for remote play ps4 games but there are android and pc apps for that purpose now.

A second hand ps4 is probably the best way to go if you just want something to have a blast on gta 5, with a pc even now you need a good spec to run gta5, my laptop with gaming graphics card (ryzen 7, gtx1050ti) will run it acceptably and is a £700 retail machine. If you're playing online with pc, be prepared for a multitude of cheating going on, the free online access doesn't really offset this.

Be aware with second hand ps4 and xbox that if the previous owner has been banned for cheating/hacking etc, the console is also banned/blacklisted and will only operate in offline/single player games; those consoles are usually cheap for that reason but people dont always advertise the fact.

Dave

Slimy38

posted on 30/12/20 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
If you do want to consider a Vita, there is a GTA for it that runs well... GTA3 on Vita. you do need to 'mod' the Vita to get it to work, and it is only number 3.

For 5 you can get it on several platforms. Something like a PS3 or Xbox 360 would probably be the cheapest route. I've seen PS3's for £25 on Facebook Marketplace, and the game is £6 from CEX on the PS3.

GTA 6 isn't out yet...

BigDawgV8

posted on 30/12/20 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for replying.

I was looking at the Vita due to its mobility and ‘on the go’ gaming, a bit like my old PSP, but it sounds like old-hat too now!

Is it possible to get the later GTA’s maybe on my IPad or mobile phone?

Is there another mobile games machine worth considering?

Cheers again for the help.

obfripper

posted on 30/12/20 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
The psp versions of gta liberty city stories and vice city stories are avaibable on vita, and there is also gta chinatown wars which was a nintendo ds port, i don't know how that plays without the dual screen though.

There's a reasonable amount of games on the vita, but not to the level promised on release and i dont think there has been any new major releases for a while now. Mine doesn't get the use anymore, but there are some good indie games out there if you have a good look.
I can't think of much that is in the gta vein of games off hand though.

Gta 3, vice city and san andreas have been ported to android and ios, all 3 run well on my old note 3 and my current note 8, with an android device you can also pair a ps3/ps4 controller via bluetooth or connect with a usb csble to play.

Dave

BigDawgV8

posted on 30/12/20 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Is there much of an improvement from the PSP to the Vita?

Can the PSP games be used on the Vita?

Cheers

obfripper

posted on 30/12/20 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
I've only got 1 or 2 psp games on vita, they are pretty much the same but with better resolution, some games can be a bit buggy though. Unfortunately the disc games do not cross over as the vita uses rom cartridges for physical games and memory cards for the downloaded games.

I'll have to fire up the vita later and check the gta games are still available as they're not showing upnon a psn store search and i know there was some licencing issues with the ported games a while back.

Dave

theduck

posted on 30/12/20 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Vita is a great thing to have, easily modded etc. Happy to point you in direction of details.
Slimy38

posted on 30/12/20 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck
Vita is a great thing to have, easily modded etc. Happy to point you in direction of details.

Agreed, I didn't mention much about it as the original question was for GTA. But as a device I can really recommend it. It's a step up from the PSP that I used to have, and there's a huge range of games available that weren't put anywhere else. Add on PSP support and quite a large retro game library, and it becomes excellent value. I got mine last year for £80, modded it to get access to all the homebrew stuff, and it's been brilliant.

obfripper

posted on 30/12/20 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a look, they are available but vice city stories is only available as part of a bundle with the other two.

I've not messed with any modding as i've got loads of games on ps plus which could be lost with a modded vita, and would wipe out my ps3&4 games collection as well.
If you're using offline play or unrelated account it's alot simpler to get away with, but to use remote play both ps4 and vita need to be logged into the same account.

If you enjoyed the original gta on ps1, then retro city rampage and hotline miami are quite similar and very playable too.
There's assasin's creed revelations and gravity rush that are free roaming open worlds games but with quite differing gameplay.
Also worth a mention that most ps1 games are available as well, there's a few forgotton classics there, crash team racing being a good example that plays as good as you remember it.

Dave

Shooter63

posted on 31/12/20 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Really!!!!!

Shooter

Irony

posted on 31/12/20 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Always been an xbox man myself because of Halo. Now my oldest is 7 I dragged my old xbox elite out of the loft and he loves it. Yesterday he spent £20 of his christmas money and got 8 games and 2 DVDs for his £20 from CEX. Genius! Kid next door got a Nintendo switch for christmas and has 1 game.

Cost of a used xbox 360 on Facebook is less than £40 with games. If you have been out of the gaming seat for a few years don't jump in with a new machine. Just buy a secondhand out of date console and enjoy world class games for pennies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.