Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recording video from DV camcorder to iMac
donut

posted on 15/3/10 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Recording video from DV camcorder to iMac

Hi All

Hope someone can help. I recently bought a Sony dcr-pc8e Handy Cam Camcorder and i want to connect it to my iMac so i can do a spot of video editing. The camcorder has DV output plus S-Video and one that goes to the VCR (remember them!) that splits to 3 different jacks, red, white and yellow.

Am i right in thinking that i need a DV to firewire cable? Will iMovie be ok to capture the video?

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JonnyS

posted on 15/3/10 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yes DV to firewire. Make sure you get the right cable as I think from memory there's Firewire 400 and 800?

I use iMovie and it's fine.

donut

posted on 15/3/10 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Great thanks, i think my iMac is 400 but not sure, i will have to check somehow. It's 15 months old.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 15/3/10 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Your iMac should have both FW400 and FW800 if it's only 15 months old. Mine is 3 years old come August and it has both. Regarding iMovie, if you can't get done what you want to do then you can always download a copy of the older iMovie HD program. Apple offer it as a free download because to begin with there were things that iMovie 08 couldn't do and some people were complaining that iMovie 06 was better etc. iMovie 09 is probably a bit better and 08 and 09 are certainly easier to use than 06 but just be aware that you can get 06 if you need it.

I've done a couple of Cine to DVD projects for my Dad so I have a working knowledge of iMovie if you need help. I'm sure there are others here with better knowledge of it though to be fair.

Craig.

geoff shep

posted on 16/3/10 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Apple no longer offer imovie 06 as a download - since the release of ilife 09 I think. It is still available elsewhere on the web.

donut

posted on 18/3/10 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thnx guy's

I looked on the back of my iMac and found 2 odd looking sockets so i guess this is the firewire ports! I'll order a 400 cable and see how i get on.

I have made a few movies using iMovie and it is pretty good. Can you zoom into areas on parts of the movie and do slow motion ? If not i may need to get a better bit of software.

Thanks

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.