Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Horizon last night - eating less for better health
MikeR

posted on 24/8/12 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
just to stick my oar in. I haven't watched the programme but something tells me he you stuck to a traditional calorie controlled diet you'd get the same weight loss over the first couple of weeks. at the start all your doing is a different way to reduce calories. I'm curious how a scientist would prove you have more energy than before as I'm tempted to get the misses on this if its true.
steve m

posted on 25/8/12 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Jasper

Just seeing if your still alive !

Or have the energy to type, due to this ridiculas starve and go diet

hahahaha

steve

ReMan

posted on 25/8/12 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
yes i'm still at it
FWIW I've lost 4-5 lbs but as the believers know this is the bonus and not the goal
I do feel better, less bloated, a biyt sharper and less inclined to pig out on he feed days

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ō≈ōﺣ

Benzine

posted on 30/8/12 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Just saw this on one of my facebook feeds:

http://www.science20.com/cool-links/longevity_caloric_restric tion_doesnt_hold-93478

Not having a dig at anyone on this diet, just thought it was interesting that a study on the subject on primates has just finished.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 30/8/12 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, still here, still doing it, on day two of this weeks fast days, 4 weeks in now, and lost around 3kg's - my belt is back to the first hole, I'm feeling lighter and healthier for sure.

I'm still trying to balance what I eat on my fast days so that I don't get too hungry as this leads to the grumps rather quickly! I tend to not have breakfast which is fine, have a light salad for lunch and save 400cals for when I get home from work, then have ham/eggs/toast which sees me through till sleep time.

Even if there are no massive health benefits in the long run, if I can use this method to keep my weight down (45 now) it means I can eat more of what I like on the other days without feeling guilty.

I've also been doing the 3 minutes a week HIT on an exercise bike for the last 3 weeks and again have noticed a difference, especially in my recovery time and heart rate. First two times I did it for 1 minute I felt really buggered afterwards, very out of breath, high heart rate and achy legs for a while after. Now I can do it and I recover much quicker so it must be doing something.

As people have said there will always be new fads and new research to say fasting does of doesn't work, but still the overwhelming evidence from 100 years of research shows it does have many benefits.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

VinceGledhill

posted on 30/8/12 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
I saw it and thought, I'll go Wednesdays because that won't affect my life too much.

So, I managed until tea time and my wife and daughter had cooked cakes, it smelled so good I just had to give in.

Will try next Wednesday, here's hoping that the weather is better so I can walk the dog.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 30/8/12 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Well I've just lost 4 kilos in 3 days on the Nora virus diet.

btw, dad is doing the 5/2 fasting and is quiet enjoying it.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

twybrow

posted on 30/8/12 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I just watched the show with the Mrs (we had recorded it)... Fascinating stuff. How some of the people in this thread can critique it for being light on science is a surprise.... As already said, the show/presenter talked to a number of universities, all approaching the subject/research in slightly different ways. The evidence was quite compelling that the techniques could have a profound affect on the way our bodies behave - as Jasper has said, it was not about some fad diet to lose weight - the weight loss was an added bonus. The evidence on brain cell development in particular was very interesting indeed.

I would not expect everyone to suddenly adopt this lifestyle - I am still pondering whether short term misery is worth the potential for long term gains! But to be honest, it doesn't seem that hard a concept to try out for a year and see how I get on. I am already on the good side of my BMI range, so it is not about losing the pounds for me - I just don't want the early onset of dementia, pancreatic cancer, prostate cancer, Alzheimers etc...

Thanks for making me aware of the show Jasper - very interesting.

Jasper

posted on 31/8/12 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
You're welcome!

After doing it for 4 weeks I have come to a decision - my wife is unwell at the moment (long term ill but not too seriously luckily) and is rather pissed off a lot of the time, understandably - and when I do fast it does certainly make me a bit grumpy. At the moment we don't need the extra stress or grumpiness, life is just too hard at the moment (other family members not well etc) so I'm going to stop fasting until things settle out at home again.

I'm really glad I've done what I've done, I've proved to myself I can do it and stick to it, even if it's just for a few weeks, I've lost nearly 7lbs and am back to a 32inch waist.

So once by wife is feeling better and things at home and with the family become more easy I will definitely be starting it again. At the moment I need to be doing as many 'nice' things as possible and not giving myself a tougher time than is necessary. I will also continue to do the HIT on the exercise bike 3 times a week as that's nice and easy.

One thing though, I will certainly be eating healthier than I did before and watching out for some of the higher calorie foods.

Hope you all do well on it

02GF74

posted on 1/9/12 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
Well I've just lost 4 kilos in 3 days on the Nora virus diet.

btw, dad is doing the 5/2 fasting and is quiet enjoying it.

quiet you say, check he is still breathing!!?!?!?!?!?????!!!

John Bonnett

posted on 20/11/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Just by way of an update and perhaps to offer encouragement, I have been following the Horizon 5/2 regime since the beginning of August and I have never felt better in my life. As a bi-product, I have lost over 20lbs in weight and like Jasper, now back to a 32" waist.

I have found the 5/2 regime very easy to live with and in fact it is a way of life now.

John

coozer

posted on 20/11/12 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
You know what? When I was a kid we didn't have a car, mam worked at the school at the end of the road and dad just pedaled EVERYWHERE!

Pedaled to work, pedaled to the cycling club, and came home and pedaled his guts out on rollers in the bedroom..

He then promptly dropped dead when he was 52, fit as a lop and skinny to boot..

Then theres me, I see eating as a function and if the wife is out I dont bother much, take a box full of salad to work, have a yogurt or banana for breakfast, cornflakes for supper.

According to that calculator I'm 26.9 and a fat fella.. I'm lethargic, can easy sleep 12 hours a day, have no motivation and drink far too much. And, thats the way its staying..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

MRLuke

posted on 20/11/12 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Im eating over 2,000 calories a day and struggling to put any weight on bmi comes out at 19.6 btw.
Jasper

posted on 21/11/12 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Good to hear John, I've had to come off it as my wife has been really unwell the last few months and I need to be cooking every night for the family which makes it VERY hard.

She's on the mend now so planning to do it again from January. I did put a bit of the weight back on but not most of it was is great.

John Bonnett

posted on 21/11/12 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Good to hear John, I've had to come off it as my wife has been really unwell the last few months and I need to be cooking every night for the family which makes it VERY hard.

She's on the mend now so planning to do it again from January. I did put a bit of the weight back on but not most of it was is great.

Nice to hear from you Jasper. I do hope you wife gets well quickly and that life gets back to normal as soon as possible.

Best wishes to you both

John

Jasper

posted on 4/1/13 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Well, as promised I'm back on the fasting now from today, and as my wife is on the mend she's doing it to. Just as well as I think I've put a stone back on since stopping it before which I really don't like.

So it's back to the fruit teas and Boots Shapers salads!

John Bonnett

posted on 4/1/13 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'm really glad your wife is on the mend Jasper, good news indeed.

For me, the 5/2 is a way of life now and I can honestly say that I've never felt better and I have found it an effortless way to control my weight.

John

Jasper

posted on 4/1/13 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks John

Having quite a high metabolism (if I don't eat for about 4 hours I start getting a bit weird!) I don't find it that easy, BUT it's certainly a much better than the other options so I'm going to stick to it for sure.

John Bonnett

posted on 4/1/13 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Thanks John

Having quite a high metabolism (if I don't eat for about 4 hours I start getting a bit weird!) I don't find it that easy, BUT it's certainly a much better than the other options so I'm going to stick to it for sure.

We are all different Jasper and what suits one person doesn't another. I split the 600 calories into three meals and fit a normal intake day between the two light days. This woks well for me and it's great knowing that on five days out of the seven I can eat whatever I choose without having to stick to a boring diet.

Jasper

posted on 6/3/13 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Update time for anyone interested:

I've been fasting for 2 months now and lost 5.5kg (I'm 6'2" and was 87.5kg), gone from a 34" to easy 32" waist, feel more alert, more energy and the fasting has got really easy now. I'm even wearing skinny trousers now!

I'm no longer 'scared' of being hungry, in the past if I got hungry I had to eat straight away or risk irritability, light-headedness and lack of concentration. Now I get hungry and know it will pass and if I get hungry again later it will not be any worse, I don't get more hungry as the day goes on. I'm not grumpy or light-headed any more. Fast days feel good, I know I'm improving my health and I know it's for the long term. And when I have a big blow out meal at the weekend, or drink lots of beers it will have no effect on my weight or health. So I can pig out guilt free if I want.

What's really interesting is I find I'm now eating better on my normal days, I'm eating less crap food generally as I just don't fancy it as much. And the more people I talk to about it the more I discover just how many other people are either doing it or thinking of doing it.

We bought the book a couple of weeks ago (£4 on Amazon) and it has helped explain the whole process much better than the TV programme did:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fast-Diet-Intermittent-Fasting-Healthy/dp/1780721676/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362567127&sr=1-1

So for anybody thinking about it I would totally recommend it, it's very very easy.

coyoteboy

posted on 6/3/13 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Almost impossible to do a realistic scientific assessment of this, at any level. You can't have a control group of fasters who cruicially don't know they're fasting, and their involvement in a study will have effects on their wellbeing (well proven placebo effect). You'd need to have two totally separate, identical populations where the only difference was the fasting, which is borderline impossible. Anyone you ask about it who is doing it is already convinced of the benefits enough to change their life routine, which makes them a very poor judge of the real result.

As far as I was aware (which clearly won't be up to date as it's not my research field) this had only been /proven/ in animal models and no-one knew if it translated to humans effectively. That was only a year or so ago. I'd be wary, Horizon has a habit of taking the latest murmurings of science and converting it into the next big thing, which never happens.

I personally get massive headaches, visual disturbances and massive mood swings when I miss a meal. Can't see fasting for 2 days helping my quality of life.

[Edited on 6/3/13 by coyoteboy]

steve m

posted on 6/3/13 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
I hadnt heard from Jasper for so long, i thought he had died

But at least when i next see him he will be thinner,

Steve

SteveWallace

posted on 6/3/13 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder if the same thing works for alcohol. Drink for five days and the fast for two. I think that I might try it... in fact, I seem to recall doing this when I was a student and I was a lot thinner then, so it must work
Jasper

posted on 7/3/13 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Almost impossible to do a realistic scientific assessment of this, at any level. You can't have a control group of fasters who cruicially don't know they're fasting, and their involvement in a study will have effects on their wellbeing (well proven placebo effect). You'd need to have two totally separate, identical populations where the only difference was the fasting, which is borderline impossible. Anyone you ask about it who is doing it is already convinced of the benefits enough to change their life routine, which makes them a very poor judge of the real result.

As far as I was aware (which clearly won't be up to date as it's not my research field) this had only been /proven/ in animal models and no-one knew if it translated to humans effectively. That was only a year or so ago. I'd be wary, Horizon has a habit of taking the latest murmurings of science and converting it into the next big thing, which never happens.

I personally get massive headaches, visual disturbances and massive mood swings when I miss a meal. Can't see fasting for 2 days helping my quality of life.

[Edited on 6/3/13 by coyoteboy]

Wrong on so many levels. Of course you can do studies on the effects of fasting on humans if they know they are fasting. You can do a whole raft of medical tests on the body to see the effects on fasting, both in the short and long term.

Fasting is one of the most studies area's of medical research, with many many studies both in humans and animals. It's interesting how many people on here have an opinion without even trying it, reading the book or even watching the TV programme!

MikeR

posted on 7/3/13 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Randomly the misses decided to lose the baby weight and wanted to keep motivated so she roped me in. We're on a competitive diet. Every month whoever has lost the most percentage body weight wins. We've been at it two months and i've won both times. Total weight loss is approx 8kg (5 week month and 4 week month) and is now usually around 1%.

This has been done by having 2 weetabix, semi skimmed milk and fake sugar for breakfast. Sandwich (one of the lower calorie ones with either green or amber colours) and crisps for lunch. Then usually having a healthish dinner but making sure what ever I eat I don't have a massive plate full and the food is nearly always home cooked with some sensibility about content (i don't do salad before someone wonders).

I occasionally eat chocolate biscuits. For pancake day we ate 1litre of mix between us and I had butter and mapple syrupe on lots of mine. Had chocolate dessert, melted cheese starter, steak & chips for valentines. Takeaway usually once a week. I also drink lots of tea or water.

I feel hungry some times but remind myself I've eaten a decent amount and will win. I do feel better but i'm carrying nearly 10% less body weight.

Perhaps the reality is we just need to eat less and what we do eat needs to be less processed crap with lots of added bad sugar / fat / salt / don't ask.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.