Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: And today's rant is - short cables on electric drills!
David Jenkins

posted on 5/4/14 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
And today's rant is - short cables on electric drills!

Why oh why do they insist on putting short cables on mains-powered electric drills?

I seem to recall that there was some regulation/recommendation to limit lead length to 2m (maybe 6ft) but at that length you can't even drill a hole over a door (I've spent the last 3 days running cables around the house). The only alternative is to extend the cable using some sort of connector, as even with an extension lead at your feet you can't get anywhere near the ceiling - and using a connector negates any dubious safety benefit of keeping the lead short.

I could replace the lead entirely, but that could turn out to be a bit of a faff on a cheapo Chinese SDS drill! I think that is the way I'll have to go though...

</end rant>

rusty nuts

posted on 5/4/14 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Why oh why do they insist on putting short cables on mains-powered electric drills?

I seem to recall that there was some regulation/recommendation to limit lead length to 2m (maybe 6ft) but at that length you can't even drill a hole over a door (I've spent the last 3 days running cables around the house). The only alternative is to extend the cable using some sort of connector, as even with an extension lead at your feet you can't get anywhere near the ceiling - and using a connector negates any dubious safety benefit of keeping the lead short.

I could replace the lead entirely, but that could turn out to be a bit of a faff on a cheapo Chinese SDS drill! I think that is the way I'll have to go though...

</end rant>

tegwin

posted on 5/4/14 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
As rants go thats a pretty wee poor attempt.... I mean..where is the swearing...comparing the lack of length to other things in life that are never long enough etc.... 2/10!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

rusty nuts

posted on 5/4/14 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

Could be why most tradesmen seem to use cordless tools these days

blakep82

posted on 5/4/14 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
After reading that, I don't agree, I just feel embarrassed for you

Get a decent extension cable. I've got one about 10m long, never struggled to reach a ceiling using it. Not sure why you cant reach the ceiling with an extension tbh

As for rants, try harder next time

[Edited on 5/4/14 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

owelly

posted on 5/4/14 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have a really short one. I never quite reaches where I want it to. Even swmbo says it's not long enough to be of any use to her. I think that's why she borrows my mates because his is longer. She's even mentioned a battery powered one so I guess that's what I need.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 5/4/14 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
I agree- too short is bloody annoying! I guess it saves money on flex!

A single gang extension lead would be the quick and dirty option instead of cracking the casing open and replacing the flex!

James

[Edited on 5/4/14 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Irony

posted on 5/4/14 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have two corded drills. One with a 3m cord and one with a 10m. The 10m is bloody annoying to store and get out. Constantly kinks. Nah don't agree.

I wouldn't put them in room 101.

jacko

posted on 5/4/14 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I have a really short one. I never quite reaches where I want it to. Even swmbo says it's not long enough to be of any use to her. I think that's why she borrows my mates because his is longer. She's even mentioned a battery powered one so I guess that's what I need.

poor you Owelly

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Macbeast

posted on 5/4/14 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
However long it is, there are going to be times when it's not long enough.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

David Jenkins

posted on 5/4/14 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
However long it is, there are going to be times when it's not long enough.

Story of my life!

David Jenkins

posted on 5/4/14 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I don't care if you lot think my rant is second-rate - the short lead has been annoying me for the past 3 days! All the holes I had to drill were over the door frames, and every time I had to put my extension reel on the top rung of my steps so I could get unrestricted access.

Anyway - the job's done now, so I'll probably forget about it until I need to do something else in 6 months' time and get all cross again!

MikeRJ

posted on 5/4/14 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

Get a decent extension cable. I've got one about 10m long, never struggled to reach a ceiling using it. Not sure why you cant reach the ceiling with an extension tbh

Carrying the weight of an extension lead very the flex makes the drill cumbersome and isn't great for the flex and connections anyway.

blakep82

posted on 5/4/14 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

Carrying the weight of an extension lead very the flex makes the drill cumbersome and isn't great for the flex and connections anyway.

if the weight of a bit of cable is a problem, a longer cable won't fix that
and i can't see how one of these will weigh much more than a longer cable?
http://cdn.toolstation.com/images/130125-UK/images/library/stock/webbig/85415.jpg

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MikeRJ

posted on 10/4/14 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

if the weight of a bit of cable is a problem, a longer cable won't fix that
and i can't see how one of these will weigh much more than a longer cable?
http://cdn.toolstation.com/images/130125-UK/images/library/stock/webbig/85415.jpg

It's not the weight of the cable, it's the fact that if you are up a ladder or standing on a chair etc. with a short flex and an extension lead, the extension lead socket assembly will be dangling in the air unless you can find somewhere convenient to rest it on. A longer flex on the drill avoids this.

David Jenkins

posted on 10/4/14 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
The plug/socket is also vulnerable and can easily be hit, or pulled too much.

As it happens, I think I've found a solution - I might get one of these Duraplug connectors:

They're made for lawnmowers and the like, but its current-carrying capacity is well above the requirements of my SDS drill, and it's not too big to hang from the drill lead while I'm up on a ladder.

DW100

posted on 10/4/14 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
It seems to be an issue with power tools designed for DIY use. I have plenty of Trade Bosch blue, Makita and ELU stuff that have leads around 3-4 meters and are fine. I also have a Black and Decker jigsaw that the lead isn't even long enough to run across a 4 foot sheet without an extension.

Guess they are just cutting back on the cost, but it does make the job more difficult and dangerous having extension leads balanced on things.

David Jenkins

posted on 10/4/14 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yes - just about every other power tool that I own has a respectable lead length - circular saw, jigsaw, angle grinder, etc - but electric drills seem to get lumbered with the short leads.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.