Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: trailer rebuild
austin man

posted on 12/4/14 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
trailer rebuild

I have just replaced all of the suspwension units on my trailer with 1300 kg indespension units previous units were fubbared an only one axle had breaks these were hydraulic? The new units use cables instead ? Due to this I have made a lever arrangement to pull the brake on whe the towing hitch pushes in, my concer is that when the hitch is connected to the brake sytstem it wont push in so doesnt appear to apply the brakes if I pus on the hitch. The only thing I can think of is that there is a mechanism for reversing without appyling the brakes if so could the be the reason??

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

owelly

posted on 12/4/14 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a bit confused by what you've written but if you've used proper auto-reverse trailer brakes, as fitted to most modern trailer/caravan hubs, the brakes won't engage when you reverse the trailer as the mechanism in the drums sort of collapses when the drum turns backwards.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 12/4/14 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Its difficult to explain really if the hitch is not connected to the brake system it can be pushed inlike a shock absorber when I connect it to the 8mm rod that pulls the brake the hitch does not push in. Is this because I am effecrively reversing the trailer by pushing it and forward inertia isnt being applied?

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

jacko

posted on 12/4/14 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
What is the hitch like is it like the type with a big spring in ? or is it like whats on a alco caravan chassis ?
do you have a photo Mate
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 12/4/14 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
What sort of hitch is it? We need piccies perhaps!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

austin man

posted on 12/4/14 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Its a Bradley one which previously operated a master cylinder by way of a pushrod I am now using the rod to connect to lever producing a pulling motion I do think ther will be a big spring in there thr are also 2 grease nipples on it. Will tray ang get pictures

jacko

posted on 12/4/14 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.lsengineers.co.uk/bradley-d40-50mm-ball-hitch-coupling.html

Is it like this ?
If so it has a plate that swings over to stop the brakes coming on when reversing
There is a big spring inside it to damp the pushing effect by the weight of the trailer / load
Graham

SteveWalker

posted on 12/4/14 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Probably just that the force needed to push the brake mechanism is more than you can apply by hand - from my recollection with a caravan, the lever was pushed by the hitch only two or three inches from its pivot, whereas applying the handbrake used a lever nearly two feet long operating on the same pivot and push point.
austin man

posted on 12/4/14 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Yes like that jacko even without the plat swung over the hitch wont depress so I think its possible something in the brake drums that stops the braking when reversing

austin man

posted on 13/4/14 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
this is what I am working with

Description
Description

Description
Description

all help appreciated,

adithorp

posted on 14/4/14 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Without the hitch attached, how much/far does the brake rod pull? If thats adjusted so it has littlle play, then the hitch can't move any distance. Maybe you need more leverage at your relay lever (looks 1:1 at the moment) to allow it to work better but pushing by hand is rarely enough force to operate the brakes.

The reversing mechanism means that as the shoes contact the drums the rotational force on the shoes forces them down ramps at the end brackets and releases the brake shoe from the drum. Going forward doesn't have that effect. It doesn't block/stop the movement of the cable so you should still feel the movement.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

austin man

posted on 14/4/14 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Without the hitch attached, how much/far does the brake rod pull? If thats adjusted so it has littlle play, then the hitch can't move any distance. Maybe you need more leverage at your relay lever (looks 1:1 at the moment) to allow it to work better but pushing by hand is rarely enough force to operate the brakes.

The reversing mechanism means that as the shoes contact the drums the rotational force on the shoes forces them down ramps at the end brackets and releases the brake shoe from the drum. Going forward doesn't have that effect. It doesn't block/stop the movement of the cable so you should still feel the movement.

what would you recommend as the ratio on the lever

adithorp

posted on 14/4/14 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Not the foggiest! Sorry thats not very helpful... even if true.

I could have a measure of the lever lengths on mine tomorrow which should give a clue as to whats normal. It might be 1:1 for all I know.

If you had a handbrake you'd know how far the rod pulls and then work out a leverage to give that movement from say 1/2 or 2/3 the hitch max movement... maybe?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.